Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

bignosebird mailing list

Quote Reply
bignosebird mailing list
has anyone had any trouble with bignosebird's mailing list script. when i attempt to mail out a file to about 450 users, the scripts seem to die without showing me who got (did not get) the message and who didn't. it also seems to send the message twice. plus, it's pretty bad to send users an e-mail over and over again. not soon after, they'll unsubscribe and leave your site.

what's going on? what might i be missing?
Quote Reply
Re: bignosebird mailing list In reply to
1) Yes.
2) No. (It checks for valid email addresses at the time of subscription.)
3) This program only includes email addresses on each line in the data file, like the following:

Code:
email1
email2
email3
email4

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
I used it a long time ago, and I did not like it very much. I use Subscribe Me! from cgi elite. It can handle up to 40,000 email addresses, and also has some nice simple features.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
I have to agree with Eliot on this one - we also use "Subscribe Me" and have never had a problem with our mailing lists.

-------------
donm
Quote Reply
1. Can the free download version handle the
job?
2. Will it crash even when invalid e-mail addresses are reported?
3. Is there an easy way to import e-mail addresses (other than ASCII > Excel > ASCII)?

Thanks for helping.
Quote Reply
Eliot,

1. What if a person's e-mail address becomes invalid some time after the subscription date? Will the script choke. This as my problem with BNB's script.

2. I've not tried it yet, but is there an easy way that I can append IPs and subscription dates to this e-mail list (as with BNB's script for monitoring). At the same time, when I send mailings I'd only want the script to process e-mail addresses. Would piping syntax accomplish this without messing up the script?

Thank in advance!
Quote Reply
In answer to question 1 in your last post - No, the script does not choke if there is an invalid email address.

It returns a non-deliverable email to the admin of the script.

---------------
donm
Quote Reply
You can add a logging sub-routine in ANY Perl or CGI script.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------