Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Why UBB?

Quote Reply
Why UBB?
Hi Alex,

Interesting idea. I dislike the UBB personally because it takes you so many clicks to reach a message.

Are you using this BETA version for free or something?

Last edited by:

Wil: Jun 19, 2002, 4:40 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Why UBB? In reply to

Quote:
it takes you so many clicks to reach a message

How do you figure? Basing a comparison of UBB versus the old WWWThreads software, it is the same or less.

First you arrive at the main page, which lists the different forums. You choose which forum you would like to enter. (1 click for each software).

You then are in the forum, and are presented with a lists of topics. You choose which topic you would like to read (again, one click for each software...total now 2 each).

With UBB, all replies to a message are on the same sheet so no additional clicks are required. With WWWThreads (and all other threaded software for that matter), you need to keep choosing the additional messages to read all replies.

UBB = 2 clicks maximum
WWWThreads = 2+ clicks every time (unless there are no replies).

BTW, both UBB and WWWThreads let you bypass the main forum screen and link directly to a forum in your bookmarks.

In regards to your second question, the Beta version is not free, it is just the next version, but still in beta until having been thoroughly tested.

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UIN #8602162

Quote Reply
No, I bought the software. Although I really liked WWWThreads functionally (I don't like either code wise), WWWThreads was just killing me on bandwidth. Having to constantly redisplay that 150kb index file was just using up too many resources.

I also think UBB has a rather slick interface, although I still miss being able to reply to a reply and to view the reply heiarchy.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

You mention above how you did not really like the coding of either bbs. Could you explain?

I downloaded the freeware/shareware version of both boards. They have drastically different display methods and structure. Any general thoughts you could provide on a more precise way of coding would be appreciated.

CLK
Quote Reply
Hello, Just my $.02 on the matter of bulletin boards.

The best bulletin board system by far is "Discus". It's flexibility and power is amazing. And it's FREE! No criple ware . . . Just free.

Check out their web site at http://www.chem.hope.edu/discus