Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

What can i use Perl for?

Quote Reply
What can i use Perl for?
at the moment i am just making little "programs" like having someone input their name and i return it...what use could i put this to? is it possible to have someone to input the correct name to run another program (like Internet Explorer, or Rogue Spear for example???)...thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] What can i use Perl for? In reply to
I'm not sure if you could use it to locally run a program on your PC....but you can do pretty much anything you want with Perl. Its limitations are really your imagination. Calssifieds, search engine, directory, games, and more.

Its all down to what you wanna create Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
what use could i put this to?

Who knows. Generally it's best to have an idea before you start rather than writing a bit of code and trying to think of ways to use it.

Quote:
is it possible to have someone to input the correct name to run another program (like Internet Explorer, or Rogue Spear for example???)...

I'm not 100% sure but I think it *may* be possible with something like Win32::OLE although you sound quite new to perl so it's probably a bit of a step ahead for now.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What can i use Perl for? In reply to
if i make a game, wont it be text based? or can u write "graphic" games with it....
Quote Reply
You can make graphics with Perl (GD Library I believe)...but that would most likely be too advanced).

If you want to leave a language where you can create games etc, give Visual C++, C++, Visual Basic, etc a go. They arn't cheap though Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
If you are looking to create console based or windows based apps then as Andy mentioned you should go down the path of (V)C++, VB .NET, VC .NET, Borland etc.

If you are looking to create dynamic web based scripts using languages like html, css, javascript etc then perl is a good "backend" language to use.