Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Transferring Data Between Servers

Quote Reply
Transferring Data Between Servers
Is there an easy way to transfer data between servers? At the moment I have about 300mb to transfer from one server to another. The data is in many different directories.

The only way I've found is doing mget -r (-f doesn't work)or wget, which in only works via http:// (i think). I can't gzip my entire directory structure as there isn't enough space.

Is there any way that I can do this easily?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: Transferring Data Between Servers In reply to
If you have a local copy of your files/folders (which is always a good idea), you can gzip your local copy on your PC, then FTP the tar.gz file to your new web server.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the tip Eliot, but unfortunately my connection is a bit slow for that Smile. But hey, I guess if you don't know a way, there isn't. Looks like i'm doing it manually with mget. lol.

Quote Reply
Well, the problem is that you stated that you do not have enough disk space in your server to compress all the files/folders into a tar.gz file, so that is why I recommend doing it locally, if you have an exact mirror of your web site on your local PC.

Of course, another thing you could do is that if the server is hosted by the same company, ask them to RESTORE your files from one server and put them in your new account. Probably charge a fee to do this, but time is money, right?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Unfortunately, I can't use either of these solutions. Nevertheless Eliot, I really do appreciate your help. The solution, given the constraints, (not that it exists) had to be a variant of

mget * -r -f to suck the entire directory structure down.

I don't think that the -r or -f commands work, so i'll probably end up using mget *.* , pasting in a billion "y"'s, and then recreating the directory structure via mkdir. lame huh? Smile

Quote Reply
Hi,

Do you have ncftp? You should be able to ftp in to your remote server, and do a 'put topleveldir' and it will recursively copy all files.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex, that looks promising.

Quote Reply
If you have access to ssh (secure shell), you might try using scp (secure copy) (you can then copy whole directories, use wildcards, anything; and it's secure).

Just type

scp local.file user@remote.host:/remote/dir/remote.file

Hope that helps.

Ivan,
Iyengar Yoga Resources
http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/