Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Server performance question.

Quote Reply
Server performance question.
Dear all,

I have some perl and server performance question.

I am running a dedicated server. I just change a new program at my web site. But after I change to the new program, the server become too slow to run.

One possible reason is the new program. Because it's running in perl and mysql. The old ones is just perl and normal text file.

Another reason is the Apache configuration. Because a lot of web sites are linked to my old program e.g. /cgi-bin/top/script.cgi. But the new program is located at /cgi-bin/new/script.cgi. There are some reasons that I can't just replace the new script with the old script. I need to make it in another directory. So I need to set Permanent URL redirects in Apache server in order to make the new and old program work great. That means,I need to redirect all traffic from /cgi-bin/top/script.cgi to /cgi-bin/new/script.cgi.

So I would like to know is it the main reason for my website to slow down? Because I just think if I do redirection in this way, the Apache server will have double amount of traffic (i.e. redirect from one place to another place).

Does any one have any idea?