Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Recommend an email/newsletter script

Quote Reply
Recommend an email/newsletter script
Hello,

I need some advice from all of you perl and cgi gurus out there.

I need to find a script for a general newsletter sign-up. I don't want to use ListBot or any advertising/branded service.

I've looked at BNB's "NoMoDoMo" script and it looks good. It looks like a lot of people are using Elite's "Subscribe Me."

My list will be between 500-1,000 subscribers.

My question is, what script are you using and have you had good luck with the script that you have on your site(s)?

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend an email/newsletter script In reply to
GT's LINKS SQL mail script....

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Quote Reply
Curt:

500 - 1000 address is pretty manageable with most shareware scripts you'll find through one of the perl/cgi script archives.

One of the biggest features to look for is a double/opt-in option. This means that after someone subscribes from a form on your page, they are sent a verification email that must be returned to validate their request. Without this return, their name is not added to the list. Almost all scripts send out a welcome message ... not all have the verification feature. Without it, all it takes is one 'spam' address and all hell can break loose.

The Subscribe Me application is popular, but you'll need the Pro version for the verification feature. You may also want to look at PostOfficePro (www.cgiparadise.com) which offers many of the same feature at about 1/2 the cost. There are a few others (RobMail comes to mind) that also incorporates this feature.

If you have access to MajorDomo (pretty complex to install unless your host already provides), you can also use the good Major for this purpose. Although typically used for email discussion lists, it can easily be implemented as an 'announcement' only list, and has many features you'd want built into it.

Hope this helps.

Quote Reply
I looked at http://www.women-in-aviation.com and liked what I saw. I subscribed then unsubscribed just to see the email responses and see how the script worked.

What script are you currently using at that site?

Quote Reply
We have no problem in recommending Mojo Mail.

This has the same feature set as the professional Subscribe
Me script, but is supplied at no cost (Gnu Public License).

http://mojo.skazat.com/

- Eraser

Quote Reply
Mojo Mail looks very good. Why is it not rated at GCI Resource Index?

Quote Reply
It is good, we have been using this for over a year with thousands of subscribers without a hitch. Very professional.

Justin (the author) says that despite constant attempts to get listed on CGI-Resources, they ignore him each and every time.

Curios that, although he is listed in most other directories.

- Eraser

Quote Reply
Thanks Eraser.

By the way http://www.insighteye.com looks great!

Anyone else have any comments or ideas about Mojo Mail. I am about to use it and I want to make sure before I invest the time. But, based on what I see here and on Mojo Mail's homepage it seems superior to Subscribe Me.

Quote Reply
Another good point is that upgrades are very easy, (there are many) all settings and email address are stored in a separate folder from the script so upgrades don't effect your important data. Just drop-in and go really.

- Eraser.

Quote Reply
Just a note to everyone else reading this thread.

I installed Mojo Mail. It only has four variables and is very easy to install!!!!

It works GREAT. It has exceeded my expectations. It has all the features that most "Pro" versions of other scripts charge for. It is under a GNU lic.

Eraser was right. If you're looking for a script Mojo Mail is the one to get.

Quote Reply
MojoMail is feature packed. It's the one that I settled on.

DT