Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Perl for Windows

Quote Reply
Perl for Windows
I want to be able to test my cgi on a windows xp platform.

I understand this is what Activeperl is about?

Will this be able to run GT products for testing purposes?

(Sorry I am very perl ignorant - so go easy)Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Perl for Windows In reply to
I'll let the "vets" give you the straight dope, but I bought "Perl for Dummies" and not only did I get a nifty book, but it also contained a Perl CD w/Unix, Windows & Mac versions. It only cost $20 and saved me from a long download via dialup.

You can run some of the GT products - like the flat file version of dbman. I'm not too sure how you'd do SQL versions, but check the FAQs under each product because I know that dbman has instructions on how to setup & run the program on Windows. Even if you can't run the entire program for some reason you can still try out your perl code. I do it all of the time to see if a certain string will work, or if numbers are formatting properly.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Perl for Windows In reply to
Thanks! "Perl for dummies" sounds like it was written specifically for meTongue

That ability to run perl with the included CD sounds like it is worth the $20 bucks!
Quote Reply
I downloaded ActiveState perl, Apache and MySql for my windows machine. I've been able to run Gossamer Mail, Gossamer Forum, MySQLMan and FileMan without any problems. Works great for testing templates and the like. I use HomeSite from Allaire (it's Macromedia now I think) to do most of my perl programming and with the built in server mappings, I can test and code all inside of HomeSite.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Charlie Piper] Perl for Windows In reply to
Hey Thanks Charlie! I've just downloaded MySql, and I am going to give the Activeperl a whirl... since it seems to run GT products.

Are you using NT?
Quote Reply
I have it running on Windows XP right now but I also had it running on Windows 2K. I would imagine it would run on NT as they are all pretty much the same thing.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Charlie Piper] Perl for Windows In reply to
Yeah, same thing. Acutally I am running XP.... so thats a good sign Smile
Quote Reply
And if you want to test your PHP scripts, you'll need to install PHP as well.

There are quite a few threads in the forums that provide resources for "off-line testing" and "local testing" of CGI/Perl and PHP scripts.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Perl for Windows In reply to
Thanks StealthSmile

I have been looking the PHP for download. I have used it before.... I do like PHP.. I hope this laptop is going to handle all this!!
Quote Reply
I`ve used Win98 for testing Perl progs, I wrote a how to:

Heres the link, it may help you out.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...g;guest=626785#72454

chmod
Quote Reply
Paul doesn't like this site, but I found it very helpful Tongue Its called NuSphere (here). It lets you install MySQL/PHP4/Perl 5 and a few other things. Also has a nice GUI for you so you dont have to use command prompt queries all the time Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Perl for Windows In reply to
>>
Also has a nice GUI for you so you dont have to use command prompt queries all the time
<<

What are you using command prompt queries for?...Ive never had to use any Wink

Last edited by:

Paul: May 15, 2002, 6:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] Perl for Windows In reply to
Thanks for all the links and info guys... most helpful.