Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

perl snippet to check for Flash version?

Quote Reply
perl snippet to check for Flash version?
Does anyone know of a perl snippet that can be used to check what version (if any) of Flash is installed on someone's browser? I know how to do this with javascript, and obviously that would be the normal way to do it, but I'm hoping to find a way to do this with perl so that the check can take place prior to processing the page. If it helps, this is for use with DBManSQL - I figured it was okay to post here, though, since it's a perl question and none of the veterans or perl gurus seem to go anywhere near the DBManSQL forums. Wink

Thanks very much for any advice or assistance.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] perl snippet to check for Flash version? In reply to
Flash itself is client-side, perl is server side.

You can manipulate SWF files with perl but you can't detect information from the client's pc.

At least AFAIK...someone may know otherwise.

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 21, 2002, 11:43 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] perl snippet to check for Flash version? In reply to
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Can you think of any other way to detect what version of Flash is installed prior to loading the page? I'm working on a template for DBManSQL that uses some flash navigation (along with an html alternate version for non-flash-equipped browsers) and I'm hoping to be able to do the flash check and then parse something like:

<%if flash%>
include the flash file
<%else%>
just do the html version
<%endif%>

in the templates. I figured if there was a perl snippet that could do the check, then I could use it as a template global. But I guess that won't work?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious... Any ideas on how to solve this?

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] perl snippet to check for Flash version? In reply to
As Paul mentioned FLASH is a client-dependent application and thus you'd have to use "client-based" checking like VBScript or Javascript...there are tons of VBScript snippets that will verify whether someone has flash installed, like the following:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/flash.html
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me