Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Placing a Classifieds CGI Script in tables

Quote Reply
Placing a Classifieds CGI Script in tables
Hi everyone

I am new to the list and here is the problem I am having.

There is a website that I am trying to install a classifieds script to which is not a problem for me but because the site used tables I manage to modify the script somewhat and was able to incorporate it into the tables.

However, I did not do a good job because the script does not fit like it should in the table. Portions of it went to the bottom of the page. Someone told me I can use SSI in order to fix the problem.

Here is the url and maybe if someone could tell me how to use ssi to fix this problem or a better way to go about it.

Please remember that the original site is consistent throughout [tables] and the classifieds script I am attempting to install should only appear in the middle of the tables already on the site.

http://www.latinmusicartists.com/...ieds/classifieds.cgi

I am also aware of the page not fully loading and the cosmetics.

Thanks

DaveUnsure
Quote Reply
Re: [davetech] Placing a Classifieds CGI Script in tables In reply to
well, first thing's first. you should definitely do some cleaning house on it. it's ugly...black text on red backgrounds is a little unreadable...anyhow.
Generally what you could do is stick this tag in an html page:
<!--#exec cgi="myCGI.pl"-->

however, if you are requiring to have it open up other pages under the same template then you should look into converting it into something like HTML::Template where it uses an html, well, template and just inserts information into it. alternatively you could use an <IFRAME> tag. that works similar to a frameset, but a little cleaner. it's useful for some things.

good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: [WolfMan2k] Placing a Classifieds CGI Script in tables In reply to
Ok here is the problem. I have not yet learned ssi. I just started reading up on it. CGI I know how to configure well on it's own so if you could give me some more detail in a way I can understand better I will appreciate it.

Thanks again

Dave
Quote Reply
ssi is really really easy. it's just like a hybrid html comment. to include a cgi script in a page you simply do this:

<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/myScript.cgi"-->

however, if the cgi outputs more garbage than the page needs you have to clean it up.
if it's your script then you allready know what i'm talking about. Otherwise you need to poke at it a little and figure out where a few things are. You'll need to remove the entire header and footer from the pages the cgi outputs. But as I mentioned earlier, if the cgi outputs different pages you'll need to find another way of templating it as an SSI include only works for the page which it calls. For example if you include a script and it outputs a welcome screen and a couple links, you click a link and it outputs more information, it will just go back to it's old look when you click a link. SSI is very limited this way.

As I mentioned earlier the easiest alternative is the <IFRAME> tag. look it up, learn it, love it. It works just like a frame in a frameset, but it will allow you to execute your CGI through a page without too much garbage.

Goodluck.
Quote Reply
Ok I will look up <IFRAME> and let you know what happened.

Thanks

Dave
Quote Reply
Of course, with earlier versions of Netscape, you'll need to use ILAYER rather than IFRAME.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me