Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Need help with LWP, Linux newbie here

Quote Reply
Need help with LWP, Linux newbie here
Hey there!

I want to install LWP on my server (I own it), but I am *really* new to being a server admin and don't have much formal training.

Does anyone know how, or can anyone point me to where I can read how to get the LWP modules up and running on my server?

Heck, for that matter, can anyone help me upgrade from RedHat Linux 5.2 to 6.0?

Any help that you can render is appreciated.

Spark
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with LWP, Linux newbie here In reply to
Redhat Question:
Is it a remote server or are you administrating the server directly?

LWP:
Install LWP: You have to have all the necessary files and you must have root access (Which you have, isn't it?).

The files needed are:

1) URI
2) HTML-PARSER
3) Libnet
4) libwww-perl
5) MIME-Base64
6) Digest-MD5

In command line(telnet):

Use these commands...

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

and if everything works fine... LWP is successfully installed on your server.
Quote Reply
The server is in town, I own it, and have direct access to it at it's colocation facility, however I typically telnet in.

I am the root user, yadda yadda yadda. I have instructions for doing a lot of stuff, but I'm smart enough to know I'm over my head in doing this level of administration.

As for the LWP files, is there any particular location I should place them before I use your instructions? I downloaded the whole tar.gz LWP file from CPAN, and have that available.

Spark
Quote Reply
Yeah just extract all of the LWP stuff into your perl folder.

------------------
Theres only now, theres only this, forget regret or life is yours too miss. No other road, no other way, no other day but today!
Quote Reply
So, just upload the files to my server, and then untar them into the perl folder?

Is there a particular command I should use to preserve directory structure or anything? Sorry for my ignorance, believe me, I'm really embarrassed...

The file I downloaded is: LWPng-alpha-0.24.tar.gz so at least I got that part right...

Spark

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited August 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Try this (as root):

perl -MCPAN -e shell

You will go through a bunch of questions, can accept default for most. Once you get to the prompt, type:

install libwww-perl

and it will install LWP and all dependencies for you.

Cheers,

Alex