Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

MySQL 4.0 Alpha released.

Quote Reply
MySQL 4.0 Alpha released.
Hi,

Has anyone here played with it yet? What did you think of it? Looks like it will really improve MySQL alot. I am looking forward to 4.1 which will make Website Applications so much faster, as the DB can do more, and the Perl/PHP code do less Tongue
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] MySQL 4.0 Alpha released. In reply to
Whoa! Running to download now! Thanks for the heads up!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] MySQL 4.0 Alpha released. In reply to
It's only an Alpha....not worth it yet IMO.....probably buggy......maybe ok to install on a test server though I guess.
Quote Reply
Pants....there isn't a Windows download :(
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] MySQL 4.0 Alpha released. In reply to
Why the hell would you want a Windows download?

Paul, when you are you going to set up your linux box!!

- wil
Quote Reply
Well I want a Windows download because I don't want to trash my linux server with an alpha release.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is with Windows - not everyone has an obsession with linux Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] MySQL 4.0 Alpha released. In reply to
Just don't think it's a reliable platform to run any kind of web server.

And besides, if you're on Windows, shouldn't you download MSQL? I think that's what it's called, the MS version of a SQL database?

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm still waiting on for improved Full Text Indexes (the ones now are pretty limited), and Sub Selects. The 4.0 doesn't have anything to impressive right now..

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
>>Just don't think it's a reliable platform to run any kind of web server.<<

I agree but is perfect for testing.....that's all I use it for.

Guess I'll have to wait for MySQL4 binary.

BTW does anyone know the difference between MySQL4 and MySQL4 Max?

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 11:54 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] MySQL 4.0 Alpha released. In reply to
4.0 Is really just testing the stability of it. It runs a lot faster however. 4.1 is going to have the sub queries and stored procedures etc. I thought this version was going to have the full indexed text fields. That will probably be added soon.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Hi,

Have you tested the speed difference? I haven't tried it yet, but from what I read, most things didn't seem that much faster.

3.23 does have full text indexes, however they are just a little lacking. The details on what they are doing for 4.0 seem much more promising.

As for subselects, will they said they were going to put it in 3.23, so hopefully we'll see them soon. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] MySQL 4.0 Alpha released. In reply to
I was reading some forums about the topic.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=40c7b042ed62f8f0f1b7edfaf396bfa8&threadid=30487

That thread indicates a 30% speed increase in count(distinct) query. I'm not sure how he came up with that figure.

http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?s=4178966bf222dc6b9a4dc6b8e1e89de7&threadid=23889&forumid=4

That thread there also has some interesting information on it. I haven't seen any real benchmarks published - they should come out after the beta is released.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Interesting thread on slashdot.org

http://slashdot.org/.../10/16/1135258.shtml

- wil