Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Memory Leak?

Quote Reply
Memory Leak?
I'm having a bit of trouble with memory leaks I _think_ but I'm not sure.

Basically memory usage increases daily to a point where the server grinds to a halt but restarting apache fixes it. I can't see anything in the error log that seems to relate to the problem, however I did spot this....

[Wed Nov 7 04:13:25 2001] [warn] child process 13954 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Wed Nov 7 04:13:25 2001] [warn] child process 13951 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Wed Nov 7 04:13:25 2001] [warn] child process 13950 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Wed Nov 7 04:13:25 2001] [warn] child process 13949 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Wed Nov 7 04:13:25 2001] [warn] child process 14195 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Wed Nov 7 04:13:25 2001] [warn] child process 16343 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP

Do you think that could be a cause?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Memory Leak? In reply to
Mmm...interesting thought. If so, you would have thought that they would have fixed it wouldn't you? Unsure

One program that leaks like hell on my computer is MSN messanger Frown I have 256Mb RAM, and have to restart every 2 hours cos I loose all my RAM Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Memory Leak? In reply to
Im talking about a linux server not a home pc.

Windows apps don't have "memory leaks" in the same way as linux

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 7, 2001, 9:31 AM
Quote Reply
Actually, windows machines do have memory leaks Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re-read what I said above. I didn't say they don't have memory leaks.
Quote Reply
hehe... Andy I have two 512 MB sticks of ram and measly 64 MB stick running on my pc. I don't have memory problems any more Smile (only cost $30 a piece, by the way)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Memory Leak? In reply to
I can run Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Kazaa, MSN Messenger, AIM, Sygate Firewall, Windows Media Player, Winamp, Screen Capture Software and more without XP batting an eyelid with 640MB RAM

Hmmm I'm sounding like I work for M$ now...this has got to stop :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 7, 2001, 11:35 AM
Quote Reply
With that RAM you should be able to power the new American Star Wars programme!

If XP suffered with that much RAM it would have to raise some questions about the usability of the OS.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Nov 7, 2001, 12:30 PM
Quote Reply
really though.... If I *really* wanted to, I'd go ahead and get another 512MB stick to max out my motherboard to 1.5GB. I can easily open up 10 instances of a 200MB database file in TextPad before windows craps out.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

PerlFreak: Nov 7, 2001, 12:23 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Memory Leak? In reply to
The fact that Windows _does_ crap out by loading the whole file into memory is very telling Tongue

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Memory Leak? In reply to
:-)

- wil