Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Member-area-script like gossamer-threads.com?

Quote Reply
Member-area-script like gossamer-threads.com?
Hi,

i'm looking for a similar script like gossamer uses it for customer-only-access ... did anyone knows a fine one including a 'lost-license-number?'function?

Yep - i took a look at cgi-res.. and hotscripts but didn't find one like the one's here used ...

Quote Reply
Re: Member-area-script like gossamer-threads.com? In reply to
Yea...use the integrated features and modules of LINKS SQL. Wouldn't be hard to write additional scripts that basically pulls different data from the "Users" table based on the Username and Password or other UNIQUE fields.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i made one that i never used.. its sort of annoying though.. cause i was going for the most secure way of doing things.. and what i did was every time the customer comes.. all he needs to do is enter his email into the form.. (a cookie is then saved on his browser to remember when he came).. then the scripts emails the user a key to login.. when the user comes back.. the form will be different.. it will have the email address already entered and a box for the key.. if the key is correct (key changes every time the user logs in).. then they will be logged in for their browser session (like .htaccess).. otherwise it won't let them in.. and the cookie and key are deleted..

basically.. if you have guys sharing email addresses.. it won't be secure..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
jerry,

Isn't the built-in authentication sub in LINKS SQL secure enough? And the code hack you provided for access scripts and data via the modify.cgi...isn't that secure???

I don't understand why you would want to program client cookies to make it "more secure". And using only the email address is not very secure since there is a risk of duplication of email addresses...even with error checking codes at the point of creating/editing account information.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
oh.. my login thing was for distributing source codes.. i didn't want to get the source in the wrong hands.. so i made it so only the person with the password to the email account can use it..

for example.. i could give you my username and password for gossamer and you could go in and download it.. no problemo.. but the thing i made.. there is no static key.. so everytime you come.. you have to check your mail for your key.. that way username/passwords can't be shared..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks