Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Looking for Metasearch

Quote Reply
Looking for Metasearch
I too am looking for a metasearch engine, but the previous topic didn't help me much. I have looked at Chatalogica, but that's a little out of my price range. So is the CurryGuide engine. I just want a simple metasearch engine like Dogpile at a time for a good price, or possibly free. And if possible, I would like to add my own engines easily. I'm not an expert at PERL either. Can you people help me?

Thanks,
Skattle

[This message has been edited by skattle (edited July 26, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Metasearch In reply to
Something like this http://pg13.hypermart.net ?

Pasha

------------------
find.virtualave.net
Quote Reply
Well, Pasha1, that's not exactly what I'm looking for. Just check out www.dogpile.com/ . That's the one I'm looking for. www.chatologica.com/ and services.curryguide.com/search_engine/ are good, but they're kinda expensive for me. I know CurryGuide can give away free engines, but they don't allow 468x60 ad banners, and that's what I need to put on too. Thanks, anyway.

[This message has been edited by skattle (edited July 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hey the chatologica engine is a free script and it includes two search engine modules me and a friend are trying to develope a yahoo module, he has successfully gotten it to parse the results but not number and tell what search engine it is from correctly if you would like to help us please say so!
Vince Urmanski
Quote Reply
I thought Chatologica was a few hundred bucks or something like that! I'd be glad to help you, but I have no luck in Perl. I'd like to try though. Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Yea he had it at freeware when I downloaded it then he used the same version and now is charging 350 dollars so I lucked out and now he gives the modules away for free!! Sorry you didnt download it in time :-( He might let it go back to freeware I dont know
Vince Urmanski
Quote Reply

Quote:
Yea he had it at freeware when I downloaded it then he used the same version and now is charging 350 dollars so I lucked out and now he gives the modules away for free!!

I wonder what the guy was thinking? When his script first appeared at CGI Resources, it cost $350 (or something like that), so I didn't give it second thought. Then recently, I saw that he was giving the script away for free and charging for the modules. Now he is charging for the script again. Frown
Quote Reply
Yea so know he gives the modules away and charges for the script, I do have to original zip of the script that he is selling now so if you want please just email and I will try to get it to you, if you have aol instant messanger try and contact me through urkoolski, if not send me an email to (sorry I DO not want any more emails!!).

[This message has been edited by koolski (edited July 31, 1999).]
Quote Reply
PLEASE do not email me any more, You can contact me through AOL instant messanger I dont care, if I feel like it when i talk to you I will send you the script, but if you email me concerning the script the email will be deleted and no reply will be sent
Quote Reply
If anyone doesn't know, he's giving the script away, freeware, minus the admin panel http://www.chatologica.com/...ads/meta111-demo.zip
Quote Reply
The chatalogica product seem pretty good, but has the author secured permissions from the major search sites that the program pulls from. While it's attractive for webmasters, it might lead to unwanted legal issues. If someone else has insight on this matter, please let us know.
Quote Reply
Wrong....

The search engines do not own the info listed on their sites!

If i hvae a web page that is spidered, does the spidered content belong to the search engine?! ...

No probs there i shouldnt think...

If so why would MetaCrwaler still be up? Do you think they pay yahoo? hahah...
Quote Reply
if that was illegal... why don't they just sue chatologica Wink

btw.. i have the full version of this.. but i don't find it that useful... it's just like metacrawler.com.. that's all...

jerry