Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

LWP - Get news from iSyndicate

Quote Reply
LWP - Get news from iSyndicate
I am in the process of creating a perl script to do the following. If anyone would like to help me or have a copy when I am done just post a message here.

Here is what I want to create:
1. Code(using LWP) that gets all the news articles from iSyndicate and puts them into a array.

2. Select a specified number of articles in the array randomly and print out links to them that load in a new window(optional).

3. I would like it to timeout if it takes more then for example 5 seconds.

4.(optional) It would create a second page with all the articles in alphabetical order that would be linked to on the first page as "more news...".

------------------
Thanks,
Steven Bond
Webmaster for:
Search4info.com and Blur-online.com
"The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers."
-Unknown

[This message has been edited by steveb (edited June 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: LWP - Get news from iSyndicate In reply to
Hey I could help you out as much as I could just email me at webmaster@koolski.hypermart.net and I will try to help you out. I know how to fetch the page and sort. Just give me all the info to where the news is located on the internet and any other info. I am happy to help you as far as I can!
Quote Reply
The only way I think I could do that is gather up all the links on the newspage then maybe get some code from a random link generator and try to use that I believe you can gather the links on the page easily with one of the LWP modules, I will have to look into that. If you dont mind maybe you should post what code you have so far
Quote Reply
I can currently get the news on the page and print them in my format so what I have done is I have 2 iSyndicate pages one with 4 news stores and one with 12. On my main page it grabs the 4 and prints then and a link to my news page witch displays the 12. I would like to randomize what 4 get shown but have yet to be able to do so.

Thanks

------------------
Thanks,
Steven Bond
Webmaster for:
"The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers."
-Unknown
Quote Reply
The way I get the news right now it grabs all the stories at once. I have yet to be able to grab each one individually. If you could get each one individually then you could generate a random number and get that story with a array. If you would like I will post the code to get them all in one block but to do anything original with the information we need to find a way to grab each one. BTW I am using LWP.

------------------
Thanks,
Steven Bond
Webmaster for:
-Unknown
Quote Reply
Man I found a forum a while back that had ways on fetching links and putting them into an array. If I can find it then I will get back to you. This forum had alot of info on how to do different things with LWP I found it useful but now I can remember where it was.
Quote Reply
Hey! Can you post the code to get ALL of the news? I've been trying for decades! Thanks in advanced.
Quote Reply
Hey whats up guys..I dont know much aboiut PERL however heres a link to a website that Ive seen that I think pretty much demonstrates what you wanna do with the isyndicate headlines..I have no idea how they did it but maybe if a bunch of us email them we can find out..

http://www.gotoworld.com/mypage/default.asp

oh and if any of you guys figure it out I would love too hear about it my emails: jxl3046@rit.edu

------------------
Theres only now, theres only this, forget regret or life is yours too miss. No other road, no other way, no other day but today!
Quote Reply
there is a script that will do what you are trying .
check out the Clipper script at :
http://anaconda.net/

if you have any success with your script, please inform me,
Thanks
Quote Reply
there is a script that will do what you are trying .
check out the Clipper script at :
http://anaconda.net/

if you have any success with your script, please inform me,
Thanks
Quote Reply
what happened here ?
does anyone have a solution for this script ?

Quote Reply
has anyone tried this thing:
http://www.newshub.com/affiliates/g.cgi It looks good:

Add a full headline news search function to your site. Uses Socket to connect to a
remote headline news server and formats output on your Web site using a nice
template method. Free registration is required. And its free alltogether. Check it out and tell me, got a storm here, i can't do it now. Thanks

------------------
------------------------------------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
http://www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org