Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

I need a script for MetaSearch Engine

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: I need a script for MetaSearch Engine In reply to
I am using Webinator on my site... i tried a few other searches, Chatologica and hhmm.. well only chatologica... i had even settled down with it, but when i discovered Webinator, and saw it's speed... i was amazed!

WEBINATOR IS SURELY ONE OF THE QUICKEST LANGUAGES AVAILABLE FOR WEB DEVELOPMENT!!! (and i have no realtion to Thunderstone.. Smile )...

I even saw on some site, maybe wired?, that it was the fastest web developemnt language available....

It is so fast because, as opposed to perl, it compiles the script every time you update the script and then just runs the compilked version...

Webinator is being used on BIG sites such as DogPile (DogPile meta search, www.dogpile.com)...

And i am also using Webinator on my site... www.jarbas.com... it's in portuguese but if you select the third option in the list box, it searches international engines...

Hope this helps...

See Ya!

------------------

Sincerely,
Roy Nasser
roy@nasser.com.br
Quote Reply
Does one need permission from these search engines, if we want to display the results on our site? For example, several directories using Alatavista results, have licensed it from them. I am not sure what the deal with these other search Meta Search engines is.

Anyone has complete legal information regarding this?

In my opinion it is easy install a metasearch but once you develop a user base, what do you do if the search engines ask you to stop using them?

Feedback, please.
Quote Reply
This thread is getting far too big for us poor dialup sods, however...

In the main, no. In my experience, you can access the add_url and results pages quite easily for most search engines, with little restriction. That said, I'm not sure how you stand legally. When it comes down to it, it's difficult to define, because the people who are listed in these engines want to "get around", but the databases and content are the property of the site owners.

Dodgy territory, to say the least. For example, I want to rip content from my local yellow pages at the moment, but the "Yellow Pages" is government owned. Am I breaching copyright? Even though this information is in the public domain?

Up until now, the whole thing has been passed off, but I'm beginning to get worrried. The law can only turn a blind eye so long. It can't be long before somebody jumps up and goes NO!, in the lovely style of Harry Enfield.

Once again, dahamsta is drunk and speaking his mind quite literally, but that's just the net ain't it? The JOB! Best be off...

adam
Quote Reply
Ooooh! (Suits you sir!)

And this thread begets the question... Should the Internet be granted the status of a country all to itself? After all, it crosses all barriers, with no regard for law, custom or religion.

Gor! You dug yerself in deep there mate!

Smile

adam
Quote Reply
The problem with Webinator is its overhead. I believe in the documentation it states that you have to allot 30% of your disk space usage to run Webinator. This is extremely large. However, the detracting feature of Xav Indexed Search is that it will not run well with database files larger than 6 MGS.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us