Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

HELP needed with list selection !

Quote Reply
HELP needed with list selection !
Hello there,

Please, I'm searching a way to have the data (to select from in my list selection) displayed in fixed-font. Using <tt> as below makes Netscape Navigator 4.5 OK, but IE 4.0 remains desperately in Proportional !!!

$output = qq|<tt><SELECT NAME="$column"><OPTION>---|;

Thanks in advance for any suggestion...

Quote Reply
Re: HELP needed with list selection ! In reply to
You might have to play with style sheets to get IE to do anything with the font used for the drop down. Most likely, IE is pulling this method from its DLL's. Likewise, in Netscape, you will almost always have fixed fonts in your form fields.

------------------
Fred Hirsch
Web Consultant & Programmer
Quote Reply
Hello Fred,

Thank you for your answer ! You know my precise problem is the following: I use in my manually defined table under DBman a width of 580 pixels with the <TR> tag. Then, with each <TD> used on the same row, I specify for each cell a value in pixels for each field. The total for all TD used in a TR equals 580 pixels, that's OK. Same thing with the other rows. I have only one <TR> per table because I don't want all cells of each row aligned vertically. In fact the number of fields is not always the same in each row and their length varies too.

When I display the stacked tables under Netscape, the chosen fields are vertically aligned, but with IE no way, due to the length of the pull-down field(s)which are shorter under IE because a proportional font is used.

Did you have any idea how to align vertically as below:

¦---|--n--|¦-|--p--|¦--------------|--n--|¦
¦-|---n---|¦-----|n|¦--|-n-|¦|-----p-----|¦

The ¦ denotes cell limits, | denotes fields limits. The fields are right aligned in each cell. (n)ormal field, (p)ulldown.

Thanks in avance for any tricks or maybe alternative solutions. My goal is to get the same layout under the two main browsers.

Germain

[This message has been edited by Germinator (edited February 09, 1999).]
Quote Reply
This seems like a strange problem. To me, it sounds like you are mixing table width types, and that can really cause some annoying side effects. Post a web page of an example, so I can take a look at it.

------------------
Fred Hirsch
Web Consultant & Programmer
Quote Reply
Hi Fred,

I'm yet unable to put on-line this page, so I've emailed it to you.

Thanks in advance for your time !

Cheers,
Germain

[This message has been edited by Germinator (edited February 10, 1999).]