Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Gossamer Server

Quote Reply
Gossamer Server
Ok. Curiosity is killing me! What is Gossamer Server that this site is running on? Have you just modified Apache or another server to output GT Server as it's name when someone queries it, or are you working on a server project?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Gossamer Server In reply to
Alex mentioned that in another post I think .Try searching for 'Gossamer-Host' or something, you should be able to find it. I'll have a look in a min and edit this post if i find it Wink

EDIT: Ok, that search term didnt work, but I found the post anyway, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...tring=server;#167614

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

AndyNewby: Dec 8, 2001, 6:14 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Gossamer Server In reply to
He's not talking about the host, but the server. Not sure what he means by "query it" though.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 8, 2001, 6:17 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Gossamer Server In reply to
Actually, reading it again, Im not even sure what Wil is asking Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Well you can query a machine, and it should return it's OS and the server it's running. I think it's called the server signature.

I didn't know it was easy to spoof Apache's signature though, that's why I assumed that GT were building their own server.

As in, I can query your machine (wiredon.net) and I find out that you are running:

Apache/1.3.20 Sun Cobalt (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_auth_pam_external/0.1 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_perl/1.25.

You should be careful with betas, there could be security holes in them :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Out of interest, why have you stopped using mod_gzip from the 26th of August onwards?

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Apache/1.3.20 Sun Cobalt (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_auth_pam_external/0.1 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_perl/1.25

What betas? If you mean OpenSSL 0.9.6b, the b doesn't mean beta (http://www.openssl.org).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Gossamer Server In reply to
Hmm. So what does b stand for?

- wil
Quote Reply
version b of 0.9.6 Smile
there was 0.9.6a and now the newest version is 0.9.6b

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Gossamer Server In reply to
Ah. That is a bit mlisleading, I must say. Usually a b after a product name or version denotes a beta.

Cheers

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Dec 10, 2001, 2:06 AM