Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

GURU NEEDED - Read cookie vs. p3p site policy

Quote Reply
GURU NEEDED - Read cookie vs. p3p site policy
Hello

I guess I found a bug in MSIE but I'm not sure. I set a p3p policy and validated it at w3c site. It's perfect.

The problem I found is the following:

When i try to read a cookie on a remote site through a img tag, MSIE6 with default setting (medium) blocks the cookie.

1. First of all I'm not sending a cookie (I use only $USER = $q->cookie(-name=>'cname');)

2. When I really save a cookie with the same method from a remote site MSIE does not block it, so privacy settings are correct!!

3. If no cookies 'cname' are saved on the computer the img tag -that reads the cookie- is not blocked by the browser.

Do you have any experience like this? Do you think I can find a way to read that cookie... with a hack in my script.

This is an interesting problem as p3p is becoming a standard and IE7 will come with additional things...

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [robyone] GURU NEEDED - Read cookie vs. p3p site policy In reply to
I have another element ... the way I set the cookie.

the problem is in "location"

print $query->header(-cookie=>$cookie, -location=>'http://www.redirect.com/file');

Quote Reply
Try changing -location to -uri

(That's an i not an l)
Quote Reply
Is this on a windows server? If so, it's a bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/...scid=kb;en-us;176113

You need to print a static html page and meta refresh someone to the new location.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This is an interesting problem as p3p is becoming a standard and IE7 will come with additional things
If it does become a widely accepted standard, Microsoft will most likely completely ignore it and do something totally different.Wink

Either way, it would be a while before you could be reasonably sure that the majority of your visitors had browsers that could use it.

I'm not in any hurry to "upgrade" to IE6, as it still doesn't seem stable enough to me. I've used it on a friend's computer, and it looks like it creates more problems than it solves.

I doubt I'm the only one with this view.

Just a thought.