Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Formmail Variation help

Quote Reply
Formmail Variation help
I use formmail at the moment formmail for receiving info off various websites.

Does anyone know of a script that lets you change the email address of the recipient on the

form itself rather than the static option I have at present.

I know this might seem like a strange request - but I have an ISP that will only let me SEND from 1 domain name - I've got another 10 that i would like to send email from those addresses.

I would keep the page in a password protected / hidden folder.
Quote Reply
Re: [Snookey] Formmail Variation help In reply to
Could you just clarify what you mean, I'm a bit unsure.

Are you wanting to pass in the email address as a hidden field to the script?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Formmail Variation help In reply to
I'll try to be a little bit clearer,

It's a strange one this really and has only arisen because of the restrictions imposed AFTER we got ADSL -Progress !!

Ideally, I would have a hidden web page that is password protected.

On that page I want to create a form that sends mail using FORMMAIL or similar and in that form I can pass a variable email address to Formmail rather than it being defined within the HTML on the page as it now.

So, the email would not be hidden it would just vary depending on who I would like to write to at any one time - Whereas the formmail we use now gathers info from the form and sends it to the addresses defined in HTML within the FORM tags.
Quote Reply
Quote:
and in that form I can pass a variable email address to Formmail rather than it being defined within the HTML on the page as it now

Ok Im feeling stupid right now but I still don't understand. How can you pass something to the form mailer without putting it in the html form?

Quote:
So, the email would not be hidden it would just vary

Quote:
the formmail we use now gathers info from the form

I can't figure out the difference between how you want it to work and how it works now.

I'm sorry...Im not being stupid on purpose Blush

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 23, 2003, 9:09 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Formmail Variation help In reply to
Paul,

It's not you being stupid - It's probably the way I'm explaining things and the terms I'm using Crazy

I apologize in advance as well because I think that the answer to the problem is probably nothing to do with PERL.

Anyway, In the forms I have at the moment I have addresses defined within the html FORM tags that the form sends the emails to. Those emails are always sent to myself.

What I want to do is SEND email from a form to someone else ... But, not the same person every time.

The idea I had was to have a field where I could input what would normally be in the html ie: the email address to send to, and get the form to send to that address. I know it sounds a bit mad, and your thinking whats the point ?? Well, with the restrictions I have with my ISP who will only process their domains I can't send mail from certain addresses even though I've got many domains on my hosting account and get emails on many different ones every day.

I also understand that the actual look of the email will be a bit strange (cus it's a form) ...

Gossamer Mail would be the answer but for the amount of mail I use (less than 60 a day) I could not justify the price.
Quote Reply
How can I get html in my email using formMail instead of normal text which looks ugly?
Quote Reply
Hi.

Currently formmail expects to recieve the Send To email address

in the 'recipient' field. So if you are currently defining this field

in an html 'hidden' form variable, change it to the html textbox

variable. <input type="text" name="recipient" size="25">

Then you will be able to enter any email addy that you want.

Was this what you were asking ? Or did you need to leave this

field alone, a need to define a Second field to hold the actual

Send To email address ??

Crackn101