Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Encrypting Perl Scripts

Quote Reply
Encrypting Perl Scripts
Hi, I have a few perl scripts on my server that I would like to encrypt so that nobody can view the actual source, anybody no a way of doing this? I have full access to the server. PLEASE HELP!

Please let me know.
Thanks!
Bullzeye
Quote Reply
Re: Encrypting Perl Scripts In reply to
I am not quite sure what you are attempting to do, since default permissions of cgi scripts and perl scripts only allow you as admin to read the file...

(rwxr-xr-x)

rwx = Owner - Admin
rx = Group
rx = Everyone

Please be more specific about what you are attempting to do.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited February 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi,

All what I will be doing is maknig a script that will be on many different servers, and i will be installing that script on those servers, I don't want anyone to view the source but me, so I need a way to encrypt the script or just make it to where the source is not viewable, I know people can't view the source via web!, but i need a way to encrypt the source of the script so people with access on the server cannot view the script.

Thanks!
Bullzeye
Quote Reply
Hi,

I am trying to encrypt the source of my perl scripts so that when someone comes into the server and trys to view them they will be encrypted, I know there are ways of doing this. Please let me know.

Thanks!
Bullzeye
Quote Reply
 I don't see what your trying to do either. If you set the permissions correctly, the only way someone else can see a scripts source is downloading your script via FTP.

An anonomous FTP user can only see what you want them see, because of setting permissions.

Now if you find other people trustworthy enough to give them full FTP access, then there shouldn't be a problem with letting that person see a scripts source.

------------------
Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
www.scato.com
Quote Reply
Cannot be done. Sure like any text file, you can easily encrypt the file but then it would not execute. They would not be able to view the source but the script would be useless.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
Robert's suggestion is a good one...Try setting the FTP permissions to restrict access to the directories to where your scripts are located, or better yet, put them in a directory that is only accessible by the Admin, yourself, and then create virtual mappings to these files.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Hi, I beg to differ, it CAN be done:
Look at the Filter perl module. It encrypts the source. Also if you do not want to encrypt it you can compile it. Try typing this on the command line:
perlcc script.pl
It will compile the script on the server. I just found this out, but just thought I'd share the information.
Quote Reply
yea.. i know it can be done.. exactly what bullzeye said.. something to do with a module called SOMETHING Filter..

i used it once before.. however if you plan on distributing the script.. your users would also have to have that installed.. which is stupid..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------