Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

DreamWeaver Software and Links

Quote Reply
DreamWeaver Software and Links
Hello hoping for feedback on Dreamweaver software. Does it really work ? Does it really don't add "their" extra tags ? Does it change perl tags use by Links ? I can buy an affordable version through my school but have heard horror stories about WYSIWYG editors... is Dreamweaver one of those ?
Quote Reply
Re: DreamWeaver Software and Links In reply to
Drewamweaver is an excellent software in my personal opinion. The first WYSIWYG editor I've used is Pagemill 2.0, then when I found Drewamweaver, it's very impressive and bit hard to learn the first time. Now I've used it in just about every web application I have from PERL to Links to techdevelopers.com. Smile Still, the two main editing tools is TextPad 32 and Dreamweaver 3. I don't know about those extra tags and such. The only thing confusing about is how to setup html tables. It does add some unnecessary tags to tables, but the rest of the app, it's very pleasing. . .

------------------
http://www.techdevelopers.com
ASP, HTML, CGI, Flash, and more!

HPCalc.com - English
Official HP Calculator Site
http://www.hpcalc.com/english

Quote Reply
I have been a webmaster since 1992 and have seen alot of HTML editors - you might even say I am "old school" :-)

I am currently one of the webmasters for the largest financial/business portals on the internet and we use Dreamweaver exclusively.

However, I refuse to use any WYSIWYG editors at all. I have not been able to find one that will *NOT* add extraneous code while in WYSIWYG mode - Deamweaver included.

Especially when changing fonts or font sizes - Dreamweaver will leave the code you are trying to change and also add the new code around it.

Dreamweaver does have alot of cool features - however once again me being "old school" will stick to using notepad for editing HTML.

Just my 2 cents
---------------
donm
Quote Reply
Thank you for your feedback, it helps a lot.
I currently use HotDog Pro and NotePad, I'm very happy with it. It is not an WYSIWYG and it adds no codes at all but it has a lot of great HTML help included. I have learned a lot of HTML thanks to HotDog Pro but then again I'm limited to my own knowledge.... therefore my interest in Dreamweaver... however if it turns out to be a "Microsoft monster" meaning lots of unwanted code.... then forget it !!

Further feedback is welcome Smile
Quote Reply
Front Page 2000 is a nice editor. It functions similar to MS Word in terms of highlighting misspelled words while you are typing or pasting codes in the editor.

Also, it does not add a lot of extraneous codes.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
My $2.22...

There's no doubt that Dreamweaver is one of the best out there, however as a coder, I find that I don't use it that often. In fact the only time I *do* use it seems to be when I want to work with tables, because it's excellent with them. But then again, I haven't explored DW to the max, and still find new functions after a year of use.

Personally, I use a whole bunch of editors, each with it's own good and bad points. I usually have a rake of windows open while I click back and forth between the dev server and the files. I use Netscape Composer initially, which is excellent for the start of a project (and cross-browser code), DW for the more advanced bits and pieces, and WordPad, NotePad, HTML Kit and EditPlus for the final tidying-up (and coding - I use PHP heavily).

To answer your questions:

> Does it really work?
>
Yes, it really does. Out of all the commercial WYSIWYG editors out there, DW is the best I've tried. But there's a lot to be said for good 'ol Netscape Composer too.

> Does it really don't add "their" extra tags ?
>
Yes, it does sometimes. But it also has an option to "Clean up HTML" on the Commands menu, where you can remove propriety and DW comments, aswell as any other tags of your choosing. There's an "Apply Source Formatting" command too, although this is better done in the "HTML Kit" application.

> Does it change perl tags use by Links?
>
Not really sure about that one. Best to check their docs. I know it can be configured to ignore XML <% blah %> style tags, and it ignores PHP <? blah ?> tags, but I'm not sure about "real" code. If you just want it for your templates though, it'll be fine.

> I can buy an affordable version through my
> school but have heard horror stories about
> WYSIWYG editors... is Dreamweaver one of
> those?
>
Nope. Not at all. But if you want perfection, always do the final editing by hand...

HTH
adam
Quote Reply
I stand behind editplus for perl code, and dreamweaver for templates if notepad gets too jumbled and i need to see what i'm doing.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell
Quote Reply
Must confess I wouldn't be with Eliot on FP though. Of all the editors I used, FP was my least favourite. And the mis-spelling thing would annoy me even more - it bugs the hell out me in Word as it is.

Maybe I'm using the wrong words... Smile

Night-night.

adam
Quote Reply
Welp, to each his or her own. Editors and tools, and their uses are idiosyncratic. No wonder why there are so many tools out there.

People are people, and there are no absolutes...just ambiguity.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------