Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Discus V UBB

Quote Reply
Discus V UBB
Hello folks,

Has anybody here tried both Discus Pro and the UBB Pro versions? I've tried the regular Discus program and I like it, but I haven't tried either in Pro guise. I know Alex has had some problems with the UBB, which I guess is understandable, given the popularity of these boards, so I'm wondering if Discus has any problems?

I've had a hefty cruise off the Discus website and it seems to compare very favourably indeed, but if anyone has used both I would be interested in how they compare.

Thanks,
adam
Quote Reply
Re: Discus V UBB In reply to
I've had a lot of problems with Discus Pro. Users can't access the groups they belong to, there's no password lookup Smile and making it so it didn't have frames (I *hate* frames!!) was a real pain in the posterior.

OTOH, UBB doesn't offer some of the features that I wanted from Discus Pro and it's more expensive.

I'm planning to write my own forum software, but it won't be available for other folks, I'm afraid.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
>there's no password lookup

Surely this should be no problem for the queen of the password lookup hacks? Smile

>making it so it didn't have frames (I hate*
>frames!!) was a real pain in the posterior.

I don't hate frames, but I want the site I'm working on to be indexed without all the usual frames c**p. I was looking around there last night and it didn't seem all *that* complicated. Is it really that bad?

>OTOH, UBB doesn't offer some of the features
>that I wanted from Discus Pro and it's more
>expensive.

Yes, that's kind of along the lines I was thinking as well!

>I'm planning to write my own forum software,
>but it won't be available for other folks,
>I'm afraid.

Well that's just inconsiderate that is! Smile
Anyway, thanks for your input Carol. Anybody else got any comments?

adam
Quote Reply
>>there's no password lookup

>Surely this should be no problem for the
>queen of the password lookup hacks?

Smile The Discus script is written with the fear of theft in mind and is very hard to figure out. I was spoiled by DBMan. Smile

I haven't been able to "hack" Discus very much at all. They also warn you that if you do make any changes to the script, they won't support it any more.

>I'm planning to write my own forum software,
>but it won't be available for other folks,
>I'm afraid.

>>Well that's just inconsiderate that is!

Smile With what I'm planning, the script would be so tailored to my own needs that it would be impossible to make it universal for other folks. And I'm afraid I'm just not willing to deal with "well, this is cool, but I want it to do something else." My forte is custom scripting. I'm not to good at "general purpose" stuff. Smile

------------------
JPD