Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Dedicated Server Host Anyone?

Quote Reply
Dedicated Server Host Anyone?
Hello,

Does anyone know of a RELIABLE dedicated server host? I am currently hosted at Alabanza. Has anyone had problems with them?

I am experiencing very slow connections, FTP fails about every other day, and their Tech Support stinks!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated Server Host Anyone? In reply to
Try Web2010, Chris....

www.web2010.com

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Have you had a good experience with them? Does their tech support respond well? Any info would be nice!

Thank you very much for your time.

------------------
Chris
Quote Reply
They are reliable...at least their head technicians are. (I have experienced some difficulties with their help desk people, but as soon as I got a technician on the phone...the problems were solved instantly.) They do respond to techical issues in a timely manner.

They do push Ecommerce applications and dedicated servers. They are one of the better hosting companies out there.

Their servers are quite fast and they provide tons of options for all accounts.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
You can actually TALK to a technician? WOW! I don't even know they exist where I'm at. Do they do Linux or Unix? I guess I can go and find out.

Thanks Eliot! It has been nice speaking to you.

------------------
Chris
Quote Reply
That would be best, so you can see it for yourself.

They run NT, Linux, and UNIX with the following web server packages:

Apache and IIS

They also allow these other options:

1) Front Page (for both NT and UNIX boxes)
2) PHP3
3) MySQL (one database per virtual account...I believe you can have up to 4 or 5 on dedicated servers.)
4) modperl
5) Own cgibin even for virtual accounts.

and much more....

Yep...All I have to do is call their tech support line and my problems are resolved instantly (of course, talking to the technicians and NOT the help desk people).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 26, 2000).]
Quote Reply
We use Alabanza and never have troubles. It should be known that they recently were sold to another company so Im not sure what their service will be like in the future. It has been very rare that we have had connection problems to any of the domains on our server, and the only real problem that we have is that their our servers ftp server apparently doesn't understand the keep alive command or whatever ftp sends to keep the connection alive, it usually times out, the noop command always fails for us.

In any event we like their service and the price can't be beat. $600.00 a month for a full colocated server, that serves about 250 ips and at 24.95 x 250 is $6,237.00/month.

Not too shabby I must say, and not one complaint from any of the customers that we host on any of our co locates.

Anyway, I don't work for Alabanza, am only a satisifed customer with their services.

Vis
Quote Reply
Visionary,

Alabanza was not sold to another company. The sold all of their virtual accounts to another company so they could focus their efforts on their dedicated a co-location customers.

------------------
Chris