Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Child HTML push for real-time apps?

Quote Reply
Child HTML push for real-time apps?
Hiya... here's what I'm trying to do.

1) a user initiates a search
2) script creates child process (fork) to perform actual search and
2a) immediately pushes back a "Please wait" screen (need to close(STDIN) to stop browser timeout)
3) child finishes search and pushes results

I'm getting stuck on part 3.

I intially went down the road of non-parsed header scripts, but that won't work since 1) it doesn't eliminate timeouts and 2) is not compatible-- to my knowledge-- with MSIE for multipart MIME.

One solution is to embed a meta refresh (client pull) in the "Please wait" screen, but this is pretty kludgy since the client doesn't know when the search is completed.

I'm sure we've all seen this done in real-time credit card processing scripts or-- to a lesser extent-- site monitoring or perhaps even chat apps, but I can't find any code examples for the last part (child HTML push) that don't depend on a meta refresh.

Any ideas on how this is done? Thanks in advance...

Last edited by:

oldmoney: May 20, 2002, 6:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [oldmoney] Child HTML push for real-time apps? In reply to
Hm. Did you take a look at the URL I provided you with the in the previous thread? I believe this does what you're after:

http://www.stonehenge.com/pic/col39.pod

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Child HTML push for real-time apps? In reply to
I did Wil... I acknowledged as much in the other thread, but that solution is using a meta refresh which is pretty kludgy imo (which I also mention above). Thanks again.

Anybody know how to do this without the meta refresh?
Quote Reply
Re: [oldmoney] Child HTML push for real-time apps? In reply to
Aha. Sorry. Well, I think without the meta refresh it would be server-push technology which we've already looked into and failed.

Have you considered hiding the refresh with frames or something?

- wil