Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

CGIwrap

Quote Reply
CGIwrap
What are the possible ramifications (if any) of running cgiwrap off the default web port?

My host states they are getting ready to migrate all their domains to a new server setup that has cgiwrap running off the default web port. He's offering this as a solution to a problem I am having running Fileman under cgiwrap (setup on a different web port).

Are there any security risks or other issues that are involved here? Bare in mind, I know little about cgi, and next to nothing about cgiwrap.

Thanks for your input!
Quote Reply
Re: CGIwrap In reply to
Hmm, perhaps this isn't the best place to pose this question? Pointers to a more suitable forum would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Hi Andrew,

The CGIWrap mailing list would be a good place:

http://www.unixtools.org/cgiwrap/

The ideal way to use cgiwrap is to set it up so that all .cgi files go through it automatically. This is quite easily done in Apache. I don't think there are any significant security issues between running it off a different port, or the same port as the webserver.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks, Alex. Coming from you, I am more confident about this (I am not nearly so confident in my host provider, unfortunately).

Thanks again for you response!