Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Best web page design on net ?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Layers and DHTML In reply to
Paul

Yes. The beatury of it all is that you can postition things exactly where you want them and you can overlap different elements. Combine that with Javascript and you can create some interesting results.

I'm redesigning my site now using DHTML. I'm fed up of people telling me that the logo in the top-left-hand-corner of the screen is a little too much to the left, or in Netscape a little too much to the right and so-forth. Hopefully this technology will allow everyone to view the page as intended, and not a coordinate different.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Best web page design on net ? In reply to
Is it just me, or does the DigitZero site look almost identical to 2advanced's previous site? (http://www.2advanced.com/archive/v2/index.html)

*goes and looks at 2advanced v2...*

Ok, similar concept, but DZ's got nothing on 2A Wink

Oh, and the submit box on iedge? It was the first thing I hovered over Cool Though it was more of a "wtf is this?" than "I wonder if that's the submit button" Wink

- Mark

Astro-Boy!!
http://www.zip.com.au/~astroboy/
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Best web page design on net ? In reply to
I must respectfully disagree. I know HTML, but I still use FrontPage off and on a little bit. If it's just used for things like tables and rapid layout construction, it doesn't add much in terms of bulky code. And besides, the last version of Dreamweaver I used produced non-XHTML compliant HTML code...while FP seems to have been producing highly compliant code since 98...though I don't remember 98 well. FP2K certainly does, though.

If I spent as much time designing as I did programming, it might be a different story, but I can't say I agree with the general vibe out there, which seems to be that only newbies use FP.

Chris Bowyer
MovieForums.com
"Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball."
Quote Reply
Re: [TWTCommish] Best web page design on net ? In reply to
That was not what I was implying...but the fact of the matter is that Front Page is one of the worst WYSIWYG editors on the market.

Have you even TRIED Dreamweaver Ultradev??? I think not, since you were unable to denote the name of the software, by simply stating,"latest version"...Dreamweaver Ultradev is a great tool!!!

Yet, I rely mostly on raw HTML code via Cold Fusion Studio...the best method is learning HTML and creating clean HTML templates files, then plugging in dynamic content via database driven applications, like LINKS SQL, or using apps like Cold Fusion to connect to databases.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Worst is far too subjective. Some people want something simple, with an easy to use interface...and everything I've seen thus far leads me to believe that FP has a GUI that most Windows users will find more familiar than that of it's competitors.

No, I haven't used UltraDev...which is why I didn't claim to have used it. :) I was simply noting that when I last used Dreamweaver (second to last from the latest version I believe, but I haven't paid much attention to their latest releases), the code was the furthest thing from XHTML-compliant. It annoyed me greatly.

As for dynamic content: well, yes, it's very nice, but I surely don't see how it pertains to this discussion. Pardon my frankness.

I won't deny that everyone ought to learn to code HTML by hand...but I take no shame in the fact that I use FP at times for some basic layout editing or construction. It saves me a lot of time, and if I stay away from certain things (FP extensions and forms, primarily), the code is quite clean.

Chris Bowyer
MovieForums.com
Quote Reply
Re: [TWTCommish] Best web page design on net ? In reply to
Quote:
Worst is far too subjective. Some people want something simple, with an easy to use interface...and everything I've seen thus far leads me to believe that FP has a GUI that most Windows users will find more familiar than that of it's competitors.

Yea, but the code that is produced is not inter-operatable between web browsers, and does not create professional web sites. In addition, with the high level of redundancy in code, the download time is longer for pages created by editors like Front Page.

Quote:
No, I haven't used UltraDev...which is why I didn't claim to have used it. :) I was simply noting that when I last used Dreamweaver (second to last from the latest version I believe, but I haven't paid much attention to their latest releases), the code was the furthest thing from XHTML-compliant. It annoyed me greatly.

Well, I did not say use "Dreamweaver"...I suggested using DREAMWEAVER ULTRADEV...until you've tried, I would suggest withholding your comments about it. I don't mean to mean, but if you give UltraDev a chance, you'll see that it is a powerful web design and development tool...and I emphasize development since it works with many other apps, including Java Server Pages, Cold Fusion, Active Server Pages, etc.

Quote:
As for dynamic content: well, yes, it's very nice, but I surely don't see how it pertains to this discussion. Pardon my frankness.

I believe addressing current web technologies, which is dynamic web sites is very much a part of this thread discussion...the original user who posted this thread was asking about "creating professional looking web sites"...part of the "professional design" is providing dynamic content and displaying in a user-friendly format...thus, dynamic content should be addressed as how to integrate it within web sites.

Quote:
It saves me a lot of time, and if I stay away from certain things (FP extensions and forms, primarily), the code is quite clean.

Sure...saves time for the user, but again, the code is not so clean...even if you stay away from FP extensions...the editor inserts redundant and non-cross-browser compatible codes.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Quote:
Yea, but the code that is produced is not inter-operatable between web browsers, and does not create professional web sites. In addition, with the high level of redundancy in code, the download time is longer for pages created by editors like Front Page.

I can't agree with such generalizations. SOME code is not inter-operatable between browsers, which is the case with any decent editor. That's not a fault of FrontPage's. And, as I've already said, when used for certain tasks, redundant code is virtually non-existent. Granted, as I said earlier, some of it's features are just plain old bad, but not all of them produce redundant code.

Quote:
Well, I did not say use "Dreamweaver"...I suggested using DREAMWEAVER ULTRADEV...until you've tried, I would suggest withholding your comments about it. I don't mean to mean, but if you give UltraDev a chance, you'll see that it is a powerful web design and development tool...and I emphasize development since it works with many other apps, including Java Server Pages, Cold Fusion, Active Server Pages, etc.

I didn't comment on it at all...that's what I'm trying to say. You're telling me not to comment on UltraDev, when I never did in the first place. :) I was only commenting on my experience with Dreamweaver. The basic point, in case anyone has missed it, is that FP is not the only one guilty of producing faulty code.

As for UltraDev: I'm well aware of it's abilities and such, but I code by hand when it comes to programming. I don't doubt it's power...nor have I ever.

Quote:
I believe addressing current web technologies, which is dynamic web sites is very much a part of this thread discussion...the original user who posted this thread was asking about "creating professional looking web sites"...part of the "professional design" is providing dynamic content and displaying in a user-friendly format...thus, dynamic content should be addressed as how to integrate it within web sites.

Well, as you yourself noted, he brought up the subject of professional looking websites...which, I think, implied a visual aspect, and not one from a site management standpoint. Yes, dynamic content is important, but I do think it's a bit of a stretch. Not that I care, or that it matters...just wanted to think out loud I suppose. :)

Quote:
Sure...saves time for the user, but again, the code is not so clean...even if you stay away from FP extensions...the editor inserts redundant and non-cross-browser compatible codes.

That's simply not true all of the time. I create basic tables and layouts and the redundant code is scarce. Tables are the best example: I find creating tables with FP saves me a LOT of time, and produces very little faulty code. The only part that I usually change is that I use the align attribute of the <td> and <table> tags, instead of a <div> tag within the cell/table. Other than that, it's all pretty smooth. :)

Chris Bowyer
MovieForums.com
> >