Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

BBS / Forum Script

Quote Reply
BBS / Forum Script
Am building a site and would like to know what forum / BBS scripts work well aside from UBB. Plan to have links on the site also but really want some good user input.

Thanks,

Todd
Quote Reply
Re: BBS / Forum Script In reply to
Hi tgoodman:

You need one script type of Ubb or BigTalker.

I recommend to you, for testing purposes, install the freeware version of Ubb.

Or try to use WebBBS.

------------------
[]'s

Lucas Saud - #19815087

Quote Reply
Both the UBB and Discus operate with multi-threads or boards in the same way as on this one. WebBBS does it in a different way, you simply create a different configuration file for each separate forum, and they can all work off the same script.

Difference being, the UBB and Discus create the forum listings, and on webBBS you'll have to make your own index listing available forums. If you want a recommendation, you'll really have to tell us what you'll be using them for and how busy you think they'll be.

Cheers,
adam

ps. Lucas, you'll have to gimme a couple days to copy it off the server and tidy it up, I haven't worked on it for an age and I think I deleted my local copy. Also, it uses a font-lib.pl file that I created so I can change the fonts, but I got sidetracked half way through that little add-on. And finally, tha actual threads are default font, because I couldn't find where to change them. If you want to wait a couple of weeks, I'm rejigging the whole thing for a forum for the Glastonbury Festival.

Up to you...
Quote Reply
Todd,

For this format of discussion, i.e. all messages from a thread are on one page (I think it's called linear threading or somefing), the UBB and Discus http://www.chem.hope.edu/discus/ are pretty much the best available. I *think* that the free version of Discus has more options, but the UBB is possibly prettier. I personally can't decide between the two. So I don't use either. Smile

The one I find very good is WebBBS by Darryl Burgdorf - http://awsd.com/scripts/webbbs/ , but it isn't this style of board, which creates the HTML pages, it's entirely data-driven. The upside of this is that it can be faster and it doesn't take up so much space on your server. The downside is that search engine won't spider the threads, and because you're running a program when a user is reading *and* writing, you run the chance of bogging the server down and having your administrator roaring in your earhole to shut it down.

That said, I like it and I reckon that if you're getting so many visitors that you're slowing things down, you should be getting enough back out of advertising to sort it out. It can be configured a number of ways, both by the administrator and the user. However, to get the "proper" administration tool for moderating the board through a web-based interface you have to register it. You can do it through telnet or ftp quite easily, but not *as* easily.

Also, customisation can be a bit of a bugger if you want to change more than the text shown on screen. If you want to change the actual design of it, you would want to be quite comfortable with Perl and have a lot of patience. But it can be done, here's one I prepared earlier - http://corkcityfc.com/shed/forum/ (sorry about the language, they're soccer fans, what can I say? Smile).

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
hi tgoodman

I recomment to you use this script:

Dan Steinman's Forum 1.0
http://www.dansteinman.com/forum

Type of WebBBS but more easy to customize and have admin options... Smile

PS: dahamsta can you send-me your customized interface (html) WebBBS?

------------------
[]'s

Lucas Saud - #19815087

Quote Reply
Very well, one feature I would like is a single script (set of scirpts) that can operate more than one bbs / thread /forum?

Any ideas.

Thanks,

TAG
Quote Reply
Another message script that no one has mentioned is HyperNews located at http://hypernews.org/...s/get/hypernews.html . It is a freeware script and has a lot of nice features. The downside to it, though, is its complexity. The upside to it is that, not only can it be used as a web-based message forum, when properly configured, posts to it can also be done via email.

I use it on my web site for my Diabetes message forum and one of my customers uses it to run two different forums with it. Alex used to use it here as well.
Quote Reply
Ok,

I am building a site that will intregrate links / bbs and other content for a specific target group. I plan to use the bbs/forum in the following ways:

1. As a support / discussion group on spesific topics. Much like this one.

2. As an Ask-The-Expert tool where members can post questions and have an expert answer them. (Moderated)

3. And other applications as they arrise.

My main concerns are:

1. Customizeable
2. Easy to Admin from my perspective as Webmaster and for a moderator.
3. Easy to admin from a public bbs perspective.

4. Able to track members.

5. Not to complicated. I am not a programer. Ok with HTML and understand Perl / CGI enough to install most scripts that have reasonable documentation or support. (I have links up but not Live to the public yet.)

Hey I really appreciate all the help and adivice you guys give. It is nice to find a group who offers sound and kind advice to people who NEED Help.

Thanks again,

Todd
Quote Reply
Hi again Todd,

Well, if I was you I'd probably go for the UBB or Discus, unless you were specifically worried about disk space. These types of forums seem to suit this kind of discussion quite well. I had a look at the other two that were suggested and I wouldn't fancy Dan Steinmans board, and I think that HyperNews might be a bit complex for you as a first time install. (Although I must confess I downloaded it and started installing it myself last night! I like the look of the "listserv" features. Smile)

As to which, it's a toss up really. On the UBB site they say that the free version is quite limited compared to the registered version. The free version of Discus definitely has more options and capabilities, but I don't think it looks as well as the UBB.

And with any application as complex as these, customisation *can* be quite messy. If I was you I'd worry about getting one of them installed first and think about customising it later, as you get more comfortable with it.

If it was me, I'd go for Discus. If it was me. But then I'm a stingy b*****d! Smile

Maybe Alex would care to comment, he's used a few to the max...

Best of luck,
adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited April 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm searching for a discussion board including these features:

- 100% customizable on template basis
- search function
- email notification
- simple design & layout like the one from www.worldwidemart.com (Matt's BBS)
- easy to change language & date settings
- secure

I have downloaded about 20 different forums till now but haven't found the right one. I couldn't find a board, which is 100% customizable on HTML Template basis. Do you have any suggestions or even know a free script covering these functions?

Phil.
Quote Reply
another important feature it should cover:

* multiboard possibility
Quote Reply
The most flexible BBS script is UBB...although it does have a lot to be desired in terms of its search capabilities...although greatly improved in recent versions.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.