Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Alex or anyone, Help Please...

Quote Reply
Alex or anyone, Help Please...
What perl modules are being called out in the altavista.cgi script? The script works on hypermart.net but not working on a server that has linux installed on it. My guess is perl modules are missing. Modules installed right now is the libwww bundle and cgi.pm . Apache Web Server is being used for virtual hosting. The script was tested on a dedicated server and still did not work. The script will show the field to type in but does not show results. It gave an error:

Error: no results available

I do get an error in the log that says:

Warning: Use of "-z" without parens is ambiguous at CGI.pl line 136.

The very first lines of source code is stating:

use strict;
use CGI;
use LWP;

Could anyone tell me which perl modules (filenames) and a place to download these three modules?

It seems like it just is not able to get to the database because these modules are being called out but may not be there. Everything on the server to the best of my knowledge is okay. I get the feeling that the answer lies in perl modules. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
elms

[This message has been edited by elms (edited February 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Alex or anyone, Help Please... In reply to
You might be behind a firewall, or something. Do you have telnet access? Try:

perl
use LWP::Simple;
print get ("http://www.yahoo.com");
print "Done\n";
<ctrl>-D

just type that all out and you should see the home page of Yahoo fly by and the words Done.

Let me know what happens,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex, I really appreciate your reply. I have emailed the system admin about this script and he does not know where to go with this.

I also have been getting error messages with nph-verify.cgi . I think since both these scripts use LWP, it does not seem to be working properly on the server side.

The little test that you suggested gets the results of Yahoo's Home Page from <html> to </html> but it does not print the the word Done and the command:

print "Done\n";

is suppose to do.

As far as nph-verify.cgi error

Quote:
Links to check '400' using HEAD method. Please be patient...;

Checked 1 - Request Failed (500). Message: Can't connect to www.pcclub.com:80 (Cannot determine protocol).
Checked 2 - Request Failed (500). Message: Can't connect to www.nextronics.com:80 (Cannot determine protocol).
Checked 3 - Request Failed (500). Message: Can't connect to www.phototechnik.com:80 (Cannot determine protocol).

I will ask if it is behind a firewall today...

Hope this gives you enough info...

Thanks in Advance,
elms

[This message has been edited by elms (edited February 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Works like a charm now...LWP was installed wrong...thanks again...

elms