Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Accessing a remote database (Please help !)

Quote Reply
Accessing a remote database (Please help !)
Hello there,

I'm trying to submit this question also here because I suppose the response will be more CGI/Perl related.

My site is not ready yet because I've still a few things to resolve, as this one:

Actually a login is required to access the local database, including for view functions only. I would like to authorize a locally logged user to access only for browsing a remote database on another site through a link page, but without a formal login on the remote site, if possible.

In fact each site has is local *.pass file and I don't want to duplicate users in the *.pass files.

Using the 'default'/'default' or 'guest'/'guest' userid and password will not prevent someone to log directly in the remote database without being registered as a 'normal' user in the local *.pass file.

I suppose the only way is to pass a certain code at the end of the link for the remote URL, code based on the uid.nnnnnnnnnnnnn value created for a logged user.

What do you think about that ?

Maybe you have a better solution ! Please share it to everyone...

Thanks in advance for any help and continue with this great support forum.

Cheers,
Germain

PS: I would like people to register on the local database and put something on it before being allowed to read the contents of the remote one. Otherwise people will just pick interesting data without participating in the creation of the data. That's all, folks !