Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

A project for Perl?

Quote Reply
A project for Perl?
I need some help with a project. I was thinking a perl program might be an answer.

I have sites that need to send sensitive data, usually in the form of text files, to me for processing on my end. The sites are usually medical folks who have only general computer knowledge and little ability (skill or authorityCrazy) to install programs under a NT enviornment.

The data is just a delimited text file of a table of names, ID numbers and a few other fields of demographic info. Most are fairly small, 200-300 lines, but can be up to 30,000.

My challenge is to get that text file to me securely via email. I have encryption programs but the sites cannot install programs readily. Is there a perl runtime that doesn't require an install script (registery edit, dlls everywhere, etc.)? My thoughts are that I could develop (or more specificly pay one of you to develop Cool) a perl script to scramble the text file using a runtime at the site (that I could email to them) and then unscramble it once received by me.

Is this possible under the above circumstances?

Thanks,

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] A project for Perl? In reply to
You can compile Perl programs into Windows executables. I don't recall what the program is called or whether it's included in the Windows port of Perl by default. Anyway, I hope that's of any help.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] A project for Perl? In reply to
perl2exe indigostar.com

Still for 30,000 lines I'd use SQL :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 16, 2002, 3:20 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] A project for Perl? In reply to
Are the users allowed run perl scripts on their machines? If i understand you correctly, it's just that whatever program they use has to be perl because a full blown windows application would have to be installed, and they don't have the permissions to do that?

If so, you could just use PGP to encrypt the message at one end, and decrypt it at the other end. There are modules available in Perl - I think this page on cpan might be useful for you: http://search.cpan.org/...PGP-0.3a/PGP/Pipe.pm

I had a problem like this before and had though out a solution with PGP, but then never needed to implement it, so it's new to me too.

Hope this has helped in some way!

-Aonghus