Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

A FREE Gift to ALL Gossamer-Threads Members

Quote Reply
A FREE Gift to ALL Gossamer-Threads Members
THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT. This is our way of saying Thank You to all the post and ideas that Gossamer-Threads has given BrainFox while in it's development. What does this mean to you? Well, BrainFox is a Pay Per Click search engine currently in beta and wants to say thank you by given you $10.00 in FREE advertising while BrainFox is in beta. So, what's the big deal - well, BrainFox is a pay per click search engine offerings bids at $.001 and not $.01 like the other guys. Currently BrainFox gets over 100,000 searches a day without any advertising and in about two weeks we will release a major campaign blitz. Take advantage now and take our FREE no obligations GIFT as our way of saying Thank you to ALL gossamer-threads members for all your great post and ideas.

You must visit the following link to qualify for your $10.00, our standard signup will not get you the $10.00, so please use our special gossamer-threads link for the FREE credit. Thank you.

http://www.brainfox.com/signup/gossamer-threads/

Quote Reply
Re: A FREE Gift to ALL Gossamer-Threads Members In reply to
hmm.. i don't have a site.. but maybe if i made a banner that said something like..

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE.. FRANK8

;)

ok.. sorry.. sorry.. it is really nice of you to give out this offer.. if i had a website.. i would take advantage of it..

Jerry Su
Quote Reply
Hmmm, Interesting, I submitted a site through the Gossamer Threads link, but found that after entering all the data, which is supposed to be realtime, the site is not listed, theres quite a few unworking areas, like editing listings, contacting support goes back to the member manager page etc. etc. etc.

Where by the way did you cull your listings from, we see a bunch of our old sites listed even though they havn't been available on the web in about a year and a half or so.

Oh well, if it gets listed great, if not, no big sweat, most of our sites traffic comes from good Yahoo! placements anyway.

Harrison

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
> Hmmm, Interesting, I submitted a site through the
> Gossamer Threads link, but found that after entering all
> the data, which is supposed to be realtime, the site is
> not listed

You must have inputed the term incorrectly or searched for the term incorrectly. Remember, all keywords are displayed exactly as they are entered. If you still have problems, please contact support@brainfox.com

> theres quite a few unworking areas, like editing
> listings, contacting support goes back to the member
> manager page etc. etc. etc.

Sorry, still in beta.

> Where by the way did you cull your listings from, we see
> a bunch of our old sites listed even though they havn't
> been available on the web in about a year and a half or so.

DMOZ. The same content used by Lycos, AOL and many others.

> Oh well, if it gets listed great, if not, no big sweat,
> most of our sites traffic comes from good Yahoo!

We would like to provide most of your traffic but if you are still having problems, please contact support@brainfox.com

Thank you.

Quote Reply
Actually, the problem is that when I added a listing, and added in some keywords, your search is basing it's results on a single keyword, so if I enter a title of Toms Toy Store, and keywords of toys tom store, then try to search for Toms Toy Store, it won't bring back the listing at the top, but if I search for just toys which is one of the keywords, then it brings the result back at the top.

Something else interesting, I have gotten into the habbit of tracking promotions with urls like,
http://www.mydomain.com?refer=brainfox.com
Which your site rejects and says
For security reasons, you may not add a brainfox based URL

Apparently your url checking mechanism is not accurate enough to know that it's not a brainfox url, but rather has brainfox.com in the webaddress. There are a great deal of people out there that do this when they pay for click throughs on such sites as goto.com

The other thing that threw me off, was that when you ask people to enter a keyword, it would be better displayed as Enter Keyword(s), We just entered multiple keywords as a phrase so that when someone searches on the exact keywords that we enter in one box, it will display the ad.

I don't pretend to know how you have your system setup, and what it searches and what it doesn't but it seems that if someone enters a listing of toms toy store in the title or even in the description, then they should come out on top if someone enters even toy store as a search term since it's in the title and description not just the keywords.

Regards,
Harrison

P.S. No, I didn't put a toms toy store listing on your service, that was just an example.

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
DMOZ. The same content used by Lycos, AOL and many others.
Don't forget to read:

http://dmoz.org/license.html

Use of dmoz data does require a Become an Editor box.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
> your search is basing it's results on a single keyword

A single keyword or phrase. Many pay per click search engines try to guess what the webmaster wants, we just decided to provide the exact results as they are entered, this way we don't have any problems with webmaster complaining that this is not what they entered.

> I have gotten into the habbit of tracking promotions with urls like ?brainfox.com

Two things,
#1 - We are just about to release our return on investment tracking code which will allow you to track your results on 3 levels.

#2 - Thank you for the bug report, we will take care of it.

> but it seems that if someone enters a listing of toms toy store in the title or even in the description, then they should come out on top if someone enters even toy store as a search term since it's in the title and description not just the keywords.

We have found that this is the biggest complaint with sites like goto.com . Many webmasters get confused and upset about what actually gets the site displayed in the search results. Some people felt that if the keywords match the title, then the site should be displayed or if the search matched the description that it should be displayed. Other webmasters felt that this was cheating them bacause it's not what they asked for.

BrainFox.com just took the stand that we display EXACTLY what you want and nothing else. Takes away ALL the confusion and yes it might take a little work but at least you know what you are getting.

> Use of dmoz data does require a Become an Editor box.

Thank you Alex. We are working on that.

Thank you all for your comments, continue to use your free credits.

PS. The new site will be released in about a week and will include most suggestions. In addition, a major campaign with over 200 sites and an affiliate program powered by BeFREE will also be released at the same time. So, take advantage now!