Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
virus
just got rid of a little nasty, w32.blaster.worm if you are getting system instability this could be the cause, there is a removal tool at symantec and a patch at mickeysoft. Seems its a new variety that only came out yesterday affects MS o/s

chmod
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] virus In reply to
Microsoft released patches for this exploitation nearly a month ago. Click here

Got a firewall?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Actually, from what I've read, this is a new Worm that emerged in the Internet yesterday, August 11th.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/...tech_windows_worm_dc
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Either I'm very lucky or smarter than the average bear, because in the seven years I've been using the Internet, I have not caught one virus or worm yet. But then I have always had antivirus protection and firewalls installed and tweaked to maximum sensitivity, never open email attachments except in very rare cases (and only from people I know, whom I was expecting an attachment, and after scanning the attachment), ensure I keep current with all software patches and updates, and also stay current with security updates. Letting just one get through can happen, but it can be catastrophic in many incidences. It's a war, where even one battle lost can lose the war. I think we need to put these hackers away for a long time - 10 to 15 years minimum (and lifetime ban from computers and Net access) would be a start.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Like dan, I too have been 'lucky' with viruses in the past, but last night this one got in... Even though I regularly update & tweek my OS, AV software (I updated on Friday!) and firewall...

I've spent all day cleaning down half a dozen PC's... the windows update site is already bowing under the pressure...

Patch your OS now as the expected pay load is a DOS attack on windowsupdate.com on the 15th of this month...

Considering the naivete of 90% of the internets' users this virus could be a serious threat...

moog
-- I've spent most of my money on beer and women... the rest I just wasted.
Quote Reply
Re: [moog] virus In reply to
AV Programs would not catch this WORM. It is a flaw in the Remote Connection utility in Windows OS. As mentioned, the patch has been available since July 16, 2003, needs to be installed. I would recommend any Windows user to make sure they have Windows Update running automatically in the background to download the most recent patches, drivers, etc.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] virus In reply to
Norton Anti Virus with the latest updates catches it on machine start/restart.

If you dont have that look for the file msblast.exe in your system directory and a reg entry detailed on symantec site.

The flaw in the o/s is what it exploits, if you apply the patch and have the worm you will still need to get rid of it.

This worm was on the UK news this morning... so its fairly prevalent.

chmod

Last edited by:

chmod: Aug 13, 2003, 1:50 AM
Quote Reply
the point is that no AV program can prevent infection as it does other viri (ie, by scanning email attachments before being executed); it can only detect and remove after you have already been infected.

simply installing the security update or using a simple firewall would have been sufficient to block 99% of these infections.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.