Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

mod_rewrite question

Quote Reply
mod_rewrite question
Hi everyone. After fumbling around with the GForum se-friendly templates and finally (thanks to Jagerman and Alex) getting them to work, I am now fascinated by the possibilities inherent in mod_rewrite. I've written a few simple rewrite rules to make my LinksSQL setup se-friendly, and they work beautifully.

I'm now wondering just how far this can be taken, and whether it works for include paths in scripts, or just urls. Specifically, here's what I'm thinking:

Most of my site is designed with PHP, and I use PHP includes to get headers and footers and such. I do have several GT scripts implemented, though, which obviously requires that I have duplicate header and footer files saved as templates for each script. So the question is, would there be anyway, using mod_rewrite, to have all requests for /path/to/gtscript/admin/template/include_header.html go instead to /path/to/php/inc/header.html?

I'm probably just flaunting my ignorance here, but what the heck? Any ideas?

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] mod_rewrite question In reply to
Anyone stumbling across this post... Turns out I was indeed flaunting my ignorance. As far as I can tell mod_rewrite only works with urls, not file paths. I'd still be interested to hear if someone knows of a comparable tool for dealing with file paths, although I'm not too confident that such a thing exists.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund