Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

looking for a download tracking script

Quote Reply
looking for a download tracking script
Hey guys,

I am looking for a simple CGI download tracking script. I don't want to use a db to save the files, but prefer a simple flatfile stats tracker. My only need is a reverse DNS lookup on the downloading IP in addition to the usual download count, time/date stats. I've seen several that grab the IP, but none that do the reverse DNS lookup. What would be best is the ability to block download based on the DNS lookup results...i.e. divert to error page if reverse DNS results are a .com instead of .gov or .org or whatever defined in the script.

I would assume the last part would be a customization...of which I would be willing to pay.

Thanks for the direction.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] looking for a download tracking script In reply to
I'd be happy to write you a custom script for a small fee.

Using a database to store the stats would be easier if you have quite a few files that need tracking. Alternatively the stats could be saved to a flatfile and then a seperate script could be used to analyze the stats.

Or perhaps you have another idea?
Quote Reply
Hi,

I worked on a large system that initially had a type of DNS lookup in order to provide different messages depending on there origin. It was found that the resources required were far more than expected and a combination of servers side and client side browser code was finally used to handle it.

I think, what you are looking to do, will not be such an issue depending on how many people visit your site. Small to medium sites, I would expect to be OK but larger sites may be allocating large amounts of CPU time when its all added up.

Also this is when a real time DNSlookup is really necessary, if you don't need the information/results at the same time, you can do the DNS lookup afterwards or on another computer, and you wouldn't have this issue...

Hope this helps,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Thanks all for the help. I was able to find a script that did 90% of what I wanted and the author modified it to do the additional 10%.

One more question: Kinda a newbie question about IIS 6.....The script appears to run fine but data is not being written to the underlying databases. My sysadmin claims that the permissions for the directory are set to write (the correct configuration I am told), but nothing gets written. Do you have to set the write on the files and the directory in IIS 6? Again my sysadmin claims that only the directory needs to be set. But honestly this is relatively new ground for me as well as my sysadmin (they are used to dealing with ASP scripts instead.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave