Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Why RAM available and the sum of %mem processes used not the same?

Quote Reply
Why RAM available and the sum of %mem processes used not the same?
Hello,

I've got a strange problem with memory. When I do a top, it shows me I almost have no RAM available, however when I do a ps -aux the sum of the %Mem used of all processes shows me I shoud only be using about 30%-40% of memory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

NArcís
Quote Reply
Re: [narcis] Why RAM available and the sum of %mem processes used not the same? In reply to
Hi,

Try `free`. You'll probably see a lot of your mem is used by the o/s caching disk requests.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [narcis] Why RAM available and the sum of %mem processes used not the same? In reply to
I might be mistaken... but the percentage is not intuitive. Maybe a better way of looking at mem usage is "% of memory application can access"

Here's an example, if you have 10 processes of the same type, say something like httpd, and each of them share the equivalent of 10% of memory, doing a sum of the percentages of mem usage will give you >100%... instead of the real value of only 10% used.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Why RAM available and the sum of %mem processes used not the same? In reply to
Yeah..that has always been one that comfuses me....cheers for the description Aki Smile You are slowly building up my confidence with you again Tongue (j/k)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Why RAM available and the sum of %mem processes used not the same? In reply to
Thanks for replies,

Alex, you were right. I did a free and it showed me that 457972
out of 637828 were cached disk requests.

However, what is cached memory? Blush

Thanks a lot,

Narcís
Quote Reply
ok, I found it:

http://www.computeruser.com/...ition.php?lookup=936

Smile