Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

What is the latest version of Mandrake that ships with Non-Threaded Perl ??

Quote Reply
What is the latest version of Mandrake that ships with Non-Threaded Perl ??
Hi All

I have to install a non-threaded version of perl.

The most recent Mandrake comes with a threaded version. So, I thought that the safest thing would be to find a version of Mandrake that has non-threaded perl.

Would anyone know which versions of Mandrake come with non-threaded perl?

So far, it sounds like pre-9.0.

Thanks very much Smile

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Dec 18, 2003, 6:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] What is the latest version of Mandrake that ships with Non-Threaded Perl ?? In reply to
Why don't you just recompile Perl without threading? If you go with an older distro, you're going to want to recompile the latest kernel and apply all the security patches anyhow. recompiling Perl seems easier to me :)

http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html - Check out the Install file in the tgz. That should get you going.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] What is the latest version of Mandrake that ships with Non-Threaded Perl ?? In reply to
Thanks, Charlie

I installed a non-threaded perl at /usr/local/bin, and the install went okay

The original install is still there in /usr/bin

How do I make the /usr/local/bin install the default ?

Where's the master file that tells the system what the default perl installation is? Could it be in Apache perhaps?

I'm also noticing that the new perl install is not recognizing all of the perl modules that the original perl recognizes.

What I mean is that when I use some of the "environment" scripts to find out things like what perl modules are installed, the environment script only detects the original perl, not the one I just plugged in.

I'm using perldiver.

Thanks very much Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Dec 19, 2003, 10:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] What is the latest version of Mandrake that ships with Non-Threaded Perl ?? In reply to
Quote:
How do I make the /usr/local/bin install the default ?

I *think* all you need to do is change the link on /usr/bin/perl to the new binary that you built. That will give you both /usr/local/bin/perl and /usr/bin/perl running the same version.

Quote:
Where's the master file that tells the system what the default perl installation is? Could it be in Apache perhaps?

It gets it from your PATH env setting I think. If /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in your path then it will take /usr/bin/perl first.

Quote:
I'm also noticing that the new perl install is not recognizing all of the perl modules that the original perl recognizes.

You will need to install the modules you want with the new version of perl: /usr/local/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell...

I'm far from a UNIX/Linux expert but that should at least get you going in the right direction at least.

~Charlie

Last edited by:

Chaz: Dec 19, 2003, 12:30 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] What is the latest version of Mandrake that ships with Non-Threaded Perl ?? In reply to
Many thanks, Charlie. I'm gonna start plugging away. I'm actually very excited about this cuz I never installed perl before. This is really neat Cool