Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Webhost Data Transfer question !

Quote Reply
Webhost Data Transfer question !
Hello !

I got some questions about webhosting's bandwidth (data transfer) -

A hosting company offers me 1GB data transfer (per month - I guess) - My question is : How many maximum user can access to my website per month ?

How can I check they really give me 1GB data transfer (in case I don't trust them) - Is there any perl script can check the bandwidth status?

Thanks so much !

N.A
Quote Reply
Re: [newage24] Webhost Data Transfer question ! In reply to
Quote:
How many maximum user can access to my website per month ?

That is almost impossible to answer. It depends on what kind of site you run, what people are downloading from your site and more.

Quote:
How can I check they really give me 1GB data transfer (in case I don't trust them)

If you don't trust them you should move host :)

Most common stat packages will tell you like webalizer, analog etc.

I've moved the thread to the internet technologies forum as it wasn't specifically a perl programming question.

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 6, 2002, 10:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Webhost Data Transfer question ! In reply to
Thank Paul !

I'm runing is very basic website - 10 pages with text for the company info - 10 pictures - no zip file to download.

With 1GB data transfer how many maximum user can view my website?

With the basic website above is it OK to choose the bandwidth 50MB/month instead 1GB - I just want to save my money.

Thanks for your quick respond!

N.A
Quote Reply
Say you have 10 pages at 15k each and every visitor looks at all 10 pages, that is 150kb per visitor.

1000MB / 150KB = 6666 visitors.

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 6, 2002, 10:28 AM
Quote Reply
I am think your pages might be a little bigger because of the photos.

10 pages, each 50 kb = 500 kb (0.5mb) site

If each visitor looks at half your pages (some would look at all, some at several, some at only one) each visitor would use 250 kb (0.25 mb) of bandwidth.

50 mb / 0.25 = 200 visits / month or 6.67 per day

1 gb / 0.25 = 4000 visits / month or 133.3 per day.

It depends on the length of contract and the difference in costs. If you can upgrade easily, then start small and grow into larger account sizes. When your site is "found" by search engines, it could use your 50 mb rather quickly both by the indexing proces and the new traffic these generate. Then you are either into expensive surcharges or having your site shut down until the next billing period.

It also depends on how the bandwidth is allocated. Some hosts limit bandwidth to a maximum per day or per hour usage and not a simple monthly total (not burstable). If your site has an average of 2 visitors a day, and then a burst of 25 for a couple of days, you could still be in your 50 mb/month allotment, but exceed the daily max, with the "extra" visitors turned away.

I would recommend getting the 1 gb account so you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff, because spending couple hours messing around with stuff like this (and lost traffic) usually far exceeds any cost savings in the short term.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading

Last edited by:

beaverheadriver: Oct 6, 2002, 12:18 PM