Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Warning: Zone Alarm Pro (Personal Firewall)

Quote Reply
Warning: Zone Alarm Pro (Personal Firewall)
Just wanted to share that it's a really bad idea to install and then uninstall Zone Alarm Pro. I recently downloaded and installed a trial copy. I was not able to reliably use FTP clients with the personal firewall activated, so I decided to uninstall it.

When I uninstalled it, my computer's TCP/IP configurations were totally screwed up. Initially, I could not connect to any host using ANY FTP client, but could access hosts via other client apps, like SSH and web browser.

Then I tried removing TCP/IP and re-adding (based on advice from my ISP). Now I cannot access any internet resource via any net client (including FTP, SSH, Web browser, etc.).

I believe that my ISP has changed their DNS Server's IP address, so that could be the problem, which I hope to figure out in the next day or so.

But the point of this thread is to warn you about Zone Alarm Pro and the possible problems you may confront with installing and later uninstalling it.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Warning: Zone Alarm Pro (Personal Firewall) In reply to
>>
When I uninstalled it, my computer's TCP/IP configurations were totally screwed up.
<<

yeah unfortunately I found this out a while back too. I don't think it uninstalls itself properly and I had to reinstall XP and my ethernet adapter. I called my ISP and they told me they could ping my machine so it wasn't their service and they diagnosed the problem as being the firewall as I had recently installed it.

I hate ZoneAlarm anyway. Infact all firewall software sucks. The best I've found is sygate.com

Last edited by:

Paul: May 17, 2002, 7:10 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Warning: Zone Alarm Pro (Personal Firewall) In reply to
The best I've found is buying a cheap Linux box, setup that as your firewall/gateway and then configure that for wireless networking to your desktop and laptop machines ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Thanks for the warning Stealth.

I had similar experiences with this program in the v1 series along with horrendous crashes often forcing me to restore the registry on bootup. Never went back to using this program, instead I'm now a Norton Security fan :-)

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Welp, after five days of running system checks, un-installing/re-installing protocols and services, etc., I finally found the solution...pretty rudimentary and embarrassing, but all I had to do was run the W95 Winsock upgrade, voila, I now have Internet access again...

I think Paul will find this humerous, but of all the applications that I've been able to preserve and restore, Netscape (yes, 4.X) is highly corrupted and I'll now need to upgrade to 6.X, ugh! Well, I could go back in the archives and download 4.79, but I'll go with NS 6.2.3 and see what happens...although I'll probably rely on Mozilla...hehe!
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me