Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

User management with MySQL..

Quote Reply
User management with MySQL..
Does anyone know of a good MySQL script (perl or PHP) that allows you to easily manage SQL Users? For some reason, phpMyAdmin 2.3.1 doesn't seem to want to set them correctly for me!

I'm getting a little annoyed with this...so i was wondering if anyone knows of a good free (low cost) management script for this...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
I believe there is a command line utility, mysqladmin maybe? Yeah, I'm sure it was:

Code:
memphis% mysqladmin -v
mysqladmin Ver 8.23 Distrib 3.23.52, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Administration program for the mysqld daemon.

Try 'man mysqladmin'.

You with Dreamhost? I think the web panel does a good job of administring users there.

- wil
Quote Reply
User management is totally differerent from editing your tables (which is why neither mysqlman nor phpmyadmin deal with it).

Firstly you need GRANT permissions but also user management isn't just a matter of editing the tables in the mysql database, you have to actually create the user through the mysql server. You also have to flush privileges after each change.

You should login to mysql from the command line and then use GRANT commands....

http://www.mysql.com/...ault_privileges.html

http://www.mysql.com/.../Request_access.html

http://www.mysql.com/...en/Adding_users.html

http://www.mysql.com/...en/Secure_GRANT.html

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GRANT.html

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 9, 2002, 9:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul,Andy] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
Yeah, or just use the mysqladmin program which is quite straightforward. Not sure why you're doing this on Dreamhost though, Andy. It's all very straightforward through their web panel.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
PHPMyAdmin has the feature for administering Users, but nothing ever seems to take effect with it :/

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Why don't you use the panel supplied by Dreamhost? They more than likely have their permissions set out differently mapped over several servers, which is why phpmyadmin is getting confused.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
This is on my Cobalt server...not the one I have with Dreamhost Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I use Webmin to configure a lot of things, including MySQL accounts/permissions... I know it's not a script (Perl or PHP) as you asked, and runs as it's own web server (you specify the port), but it is excellent, and you can use it to configure almost anything.

http://www.webmin.com

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
How easy is it to install Webmin with SuEXEC installed, and obviously on a Cobalt server?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
How easy is it to install Webmin with SuEXEC installed, and obviously on a Cobalt server?

It won't have anything to do with Apache, so SuEXEC won't make a difference. It runs it's own daemon and has it's own web server interface. Even if you don't have apache installed (I use it on my database server that doesn't have apache), it will run on the port you specify (default is port 10000). Simply extract it where you want it to reside (like /usr/local/webmin), then run "sh setup.sh". It will allow you to select your OS and version from a list, set a password for the admin account, and set the port to use or use the default port . That's about it.

Sean
Quote Reply
I installed it on my iBook.

Although, the version I installed doesn't support OSX 10.2 webmin still seems to run fine.
The install wasn't difficult. I was able to do it Blush

There's also a usrmin ... I haven't used it yet but I'm sure it's out to challenge the panels like cpanel and plesk.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Sweet..I may just install it now...I needed something to help me manage my cron jobs too Tongue (instead of doing it all by comand lines etc)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I use CronniX. It's a graphical interface to cron.
I found going into webmin a bit of pain since you have to log in and all that.

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
Shame it doesn't support Windows machines, as its actually a program Tongue Thanks for the suggestion though.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
oopos, sorrry about that!
Blush
It was like really late at night, errr, early in the morning. I should've wrote that's a Mac app.

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] User management with MySQL.. In reply to
No prob. I already have my own Cron managing script I wrote a while ago...released it to the GT community. Problem is, it doesn't seem to work on Cobalt servers...suppose I should really just try and fix it Laugh

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
hehe Crazy

Quote Reply
Wow...just installed WebMin...that was REALLY eassy Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It's very easy, but it's amazing what you can administer with it. You can also download additional modules for it. There are many, many modules... Smile

Sean