Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Seeking Comprehensive Installer for Linux box

Quote Reply
Seeking Comprehensive Installer for Linux box
Hi All

I'm looking for a comprehensive Installer for my Linux 6.2 box that runs older versions of a lot of stuff (postgres, mysql....)

I would love to do a wholesale upgrade of the entire system, rather than one thing at a time (cuz I really don't know what the heck I'm doing and can't risk wrecking the machine).

Would anyone know of a super-duper Installation Kit that has all sorts of stuff?

Apache
Perl
Php
Mysql
Postgres
...more if possible...Smile

I've seen a few, but I've never found that's got it all.

Many thanks for any help. Smile

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 23, 2003, 8:54 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Seeking Comprehensive Installer for Linux box In reply to
Is this a desktop or a server? All the major distributions will include packages for everything you mention there, but depending on what you are using the machine for, will depend on the packages I recommend. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Seeking Comprehensive Installer for Linux box In reply to
Hi Alex

It's a linux box that I use as a test webserver environment for developing all my web stuff. The box sits on my desktop at home, and I connect to it from my win box using a crossover cable....2 inches away.

I try to duplicate the exact hosting environment so that everything is predictable. But, I sure wouldn't mind trying out some linux apps (desktop and such), cuz I would love to start to migrate to an all-linux work environment if possible, but using the linux box as a server is of primary importance.

I've even thought of totally starting from scratch with a new RedHat install (like buy the RedHat Pro kit at some comp store), but we'll see how brave I feel Smile

Any suggestions you can throw my way would be most appreciated. Many thanks. Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 23, 2003, 12:28 PM
Quote Reply
Mandrake installs everything possible it seems.

The installer from Mandrake compared to redhat (about 1 year ago) was way easier and a bit friendlier to the newbies.

Might want to check hotscripts since they have a few scripts that will upgrade/install components like perl/php/apache for you.

If you have the time or the line why not just download the files off your favorite *nix flavor's site?
We have magazines in town that often have freeBSD installer CD's they run about $10, I'd send you one but they're in Japanese Tongue

If your machine is empty why not just go for it?

hehe, I installed a mac hard drive into a peecee using mandrake to wipeout the drive and reformat it to dos.

So, take the plunge and spend the few hours Cool

warning :::
make sure your video card is pretty standard if not you'll hurt real bad. I spent a few days finding hacks and solution to use Japanese components. noooo, they're basically the same just ID's and what not make installing an English system with no foreign componet support that much more of an experience Unsure

Cheers!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Seeking Comprehensive Installer for Linux box In reply to
Thanks, QooQ Smile

I know about the Mandrake installer. I've heard that what it installs or configures is different than a RedHat install. Is that about right? Have you had any special issues to deal with in addtion to the graphics card?

Thing is, I'm so used to the RedHat way of doing things that I hate to deviate, only because it's so predictable.

What I'd really love to do is get two servers....one as a reliable work server (to duplicate web environment), and the other for experimenting with all kinds of linux things and whatever else.

Back to the grindstone!

Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 25, 2003, 3:54 AM
Quote Reply
hmm, for my old information. Mandrake just seemed to be an easy way into *nix for newbies.

So, why not just do redhat with KDE or what ever? You just possibly need to do some digging for the apps then.

My suggestion though is to look into OSX on an iMac or one of those lovely 17" notebooks Wink
X11 and the full power of a BSD distro Cool

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Seeking Comprehensive Installer for Linux box In reply to
Thanks, QooQ Smile

Alex, you were going to chime in?

Any suggestions?

Here comes the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Smile

------------------------------------------