Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

RedHat Pro 9 Install - Can it be both Desktop and Server?

Quote Reply
RedHat Pro 9 Install - Can it be both Desktop and Server?
Hi All

I have one box that I would like to set up as a Linux machine. I would like to install RedHat Pro 9, and if possible I would like to do a custom install to set up the machine as both a personal desktop and as a server.

I've heard that you pretty much have to decide to make the machine only a desktop system or only a server, but is it possible for one machine to do both?

I'm trying to migrate to a totally Linux environment for both office apps and server needs. I want to set up an experimental box for both things, but for now I have only one machine to do this.

The whole thing would for now just be for experimentation, not delivery of live content.

Any suggestions for this combo unit would be most appreciated. Many thanks Smile

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Aug 10, 2003, 4:56 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] RedHat Pro 9 Install - Can it be both Desktop and Server? In reply to
You can install all the components to run it as a server and a workstation but it probably won't give the best performance.

During the installation process it lets you install the packages you desire, such as webserver, ftp, smtp etc and also development tools, browsers, netscape.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] RedHat Pro 9 Install - Can it be both Desktop and Server? In reply to
Thanks, Paul. I thought the same thing Smile

Cheers Smile

------------------------------------------