Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Commercial Grade Website Tracking

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Commercial Grade Website Tracking
We run a large commercial search engine receiving about 500,000 unique visitors a day. The site runs on multiple servers, 6 to be exact. We need a enterprise level, commercial grade software that will allow us to monitor traffic on this site.

We have looked into many programs but they all depend on the apache logs but because this site is powered across multiple servers, that's not really feasible.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: [inbuco] Commercial Grade Website Tracking In reply to
Web Trends Log Analyzer (Enterprise version)

It allows you to parse data from many different log files, including Apache logs, Window logs, etc.

The Enterprise version allows you to track stats of different sites in real-time more fluidly than the Professional version. But even with the Professional version, you can set-up multiple real-time reports.

In terms of reliability, it is a long-standing product and one of the industry standard tools. In addition, Web Trends offers many different services, like hosted real-time stats (rather than impacting your local bandwidth and server disk space).

http://www.webtrends.com
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Post deleted by tandat In reply to
Quote Reply
Analog.

I think you are mislead here - they don't work off Apache log files. Apache has a number of different formats that you have your logs in - heck, you can even devise your own format (I have!). It's all to do with the way output is generated. Analog is the only program I know that can read in an amazing amount of different formats and permutations of log files, and if your permutation is not there then you can define it or let Analog guess it for you - it's preety clever.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
We run a large commercial search engine receiving about 500,000 unique visitors a day.

What's the name of the site??

Thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Commercial Grade Website Tracking In reply to
Its ace-installer.com isn't it ? Sly [/end dig at Andy]

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 14, 2002, 9:54 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Can you take a look at this site http://www.hot-1000.com? You can login with username:demo and password:demo to see its statistic information

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Commercial Grade Website Tracking In reply to
Very funny Paul Wink

...get it right..I'm getting 1m a month now..heh heh Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Commercial Grade Website Tracking In reply to
Ahh if only ;)
Quote Reply
Indeed...
Quote Reply
I'd really like to see your logs. Are you counting requests for inline images in your hit counts? If so, hell, I'll put up a hundred transparent gifs on my site and run an offline browser on it for a few days to run up the stats. :-)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Thats remarkable....

http://ace-installer.com/request.php

http://www.wiredon.net/contact/

Smile

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 15, 2002, 3:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Commercial Grade Website Tracking In reply to
Hell, yeah!

Our main website recives an aberage of 72,821 *requests* per month, but only *11,270* pages are served. So I could argue that I get 72,821 *hits* ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Thats remarkable....

http://ace-installer.com/request.php

http://www.wiredon.net/contact/

Pure coincidence no doubt ;)

Whats the coincidence? Just cos you think you are the only one allowed to use IE style tags ;) FP 2002 is great for that :)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I'd really like to see your logs. Are you counting requests for inline images in your hit counts? If so, hell, I'll put up a hundred transparent gifs on my site and run an offline browser on it for a few days to run up the stats. :-)

Lol.. I'm not really on that many hits a month. I average about 25-50k a month, sometimes more.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Commercial Grade Website Tracking In reply to
I've had just under 33,000 hits for april so far, 17891 file requests, 8200 pages.

Im getting about 1500 hits an hour apparently.
Quote Reply
Yeah, one of which was me - didn't know that you've released your chat app. A cool addition, IMO, would be little avatars as you see when playing games on Yahoo! games. In fact, you could pickup quite a few cool features and design ideas from the chat applets @ Yahoo! games.

BTW; I've got access to a MSSQL database here if you want to batter it with the chat client.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Im getting about 1500 hits an hour apparently.

If so, that would mean you are on 7.5 million hits ina 30 day month ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hey thanks, that would be cool if I could test it out.

Im going out in a bit but if you could send me some details about how to proceed when you have time that would be cool.
Quote Reply
>>
If so, that would mean you are on 7.5 million hits ina 30 day month ;)
<<

Ooo your maths needs some attention ;)

1500 x 24 x 30 isn't 7.5 million.

1500 is an average too.

It works out about right....say I get 100,000 visitors a month, thats 10 clicks each and Ive reached the 1500 x 24 x 30 hits mark

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 15, 2002, 4:39 AM
Quote Reply
Lol...you could test my Banner script if you want Smile I'm just putting the finishing touches to the documentation. This is the non-links sql version (i.e not in plugin form, but just a PHP script). Let me know..I';m looking for some testers Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>Ooo your maths needs some attention ;) <<

Yeah, well, that happens when you use M$ calculators..LOL Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
funny... tried it on my copy of MS's calculator, both in standard and scientific mode, and got 1.08m both times. You must still be using win3.1. Tongue

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
I was refering to mistyping it ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
...to end up with 7.5million you'd need to add about 3-4 extra zero's Sly....thats the mothership of mis-typings.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 15, 2002, 4:55 AM
> >