Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Email or Forms

Quote Reply
Email or Forms
Hi,

I've noticed that some websites don't display any email addresses and require all contact to be made via forms. I guess this would solve the problem of spam but what would be some of the other reasons they would do this? Can anyone provide some advantages and disadvantages of setting up a website using only forms as a contact method?

Thank you.

Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] Email or Forms In reply to
Some sites redirect emails to certain departments/people, depending on the subject. Thats another reason people use them. Also, it gives a GUI for the site visitor, which they prefer (rather than sending via their default email program).

I suppose its just preferences, and it also gives a bit more interactivity to the site.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
You could use ASCII codes to mask the email address from bots picking them up.

You can use the following web page to mask your email addresses via an image or by ASCII codes:

http://www.digitalcolony.com/02/maskemail/genEmailMask.asp

The author includes an ASP dynamic function and also a Javascript function that will mask your email dynamically:

http://www.digitalcolony.com/02/maskemail/
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
An advantage to using a "form" is that anyone can contact you regardless of whose computer he/she is using. For example you're using a computer at school, library, work, friend's house and the email program is not installed or is not yours, you can still send a message.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Email or Forms In reply to
Very true. I never thought of that Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Email or Forms In reply to
Disadvantage is people sometimes enter their email address incorrectly. Good idea to have them enter their email address twice to verify. I myself use form-based contact method for reasons given here in addition to others.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Email or Forms In reply to
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Does anyone have any other reasons (Good or Bad)???
How about from a users point of view? Do users have a preference?
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Users' Viewpoint

Normal email: advantage is that the message is stored with other emails in the place where they expect to find it.

Forms: advantage is they can disguise their email addresses if they don't want you to know it.

In the end it depends on the kind of relationship you wish to establish with the users and how the user feels about it.

Have you considered offering both options?
Quote Reply
My preference is always an email address as the first point of contact. It just looks more professional and it allows the user to email you in their own time. I hate forms. I see forms every day, over and over on multiple mediums: emails, junk mail, etc. I associate forms with: junk. Why? Because I recieve a few every day 'Thank you for your time, just fill in this ...' and they really annoy me.

Our corporate website provides a phone number, a fax number, our address and an email. My thoughs for doing this was that, we don't provide a fax template, a pre-recorded phone message or a letterhead for them to download, so why provide a form with mind-numbing patronising questions? "Your name: Your email: etc.". It just looks like you're treating your user like an idiot and you assume they don't have the intelligence to provide you with this basic information as-is.

Just my two euros.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Email or Forms In reply to
I think forms look more professional.

You could add a validation routine so that your visitor could confirm their content before submitting it.

------------------------------------------