Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

HTML ALT Tags

Quote Reply
HTML ALT Tags
Hi,
Can someone tell me which image alt tag is correct for 1x1 pixel images that have no meaning or purpose to the user other than page layout.
alt="*" or alt="" ???
Thank you.
Simon.

PS. Is it ok to post html questions in this forum or is there another forum for this type of question?
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] HTML ALT Tags In reply to
You don't need to even define alt= if you don't want someone to see something when they hover over it Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] HTML ALT Tags In reply to
You do need to define alt tags if you want your html to validate and you want it to be suitable regarding accessibility issues.

The text also shows if any images go dead which can be useful.

For no alt just use alt=""

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 10, 2002, 2:42 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] HTML ALT Tags In reply to
Paul is correct. In terms of accessibility, you should use alt tags in all your images. For spacer type of images, you can use the codes provided so far.

FYI: A good site to test your site's accessibility is Bobby:

http://bobby.watchfire.com/

In addition, you might find using JAWS and other screenreader software enlightening in terms of how a visually impaired person "sees" or I should say "hears" your web sites.

If you don't use alt="" to denote spacer images or actual values in alternative text attribute in image tags, then here is what a visually impaired person would hear:

IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE

kind of annoying.

Also, more specific to USA companies, but adhering to Amendment 508 is important...while there have been only a few cases against companies who have not adhered to the guidelines in this Amendment, it does provide some "teeth".
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Oct 10, 2002, 9:29 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] HTML ALT Tags In reply to
Ok, here is a question. I have seen alt tags used for links (text links) on a lot of sites. I have seen them on yahoo too. I have not been able to figure out how to use alt for text links. When I looked at the source code on these sites, I did not see any alt tags used but when I place the mouse over the link, I see the effect. Any ideas how to do this?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] HTML ALT Tags In reply to
<a href="foo" title="bar">

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
yogi provided the codes you need.

However, the problem with the title="" attribute in HREF tags are the following:

1) They only work in IE 4.0 and higher.
2) They will overwrite whatever your text is in JAWS and other screen reader software.

Example:

<a href="something.html" title="something">About Us</a>

When someone with a screen reader accesses the page, they will hear "something", not "About Us".

BTW: Another note on alt and other accessibility attributes, while time consuming to maintain, using the long description attribute in the IMG tag is also helpful.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Oct 13, 2002, 3:27 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] HTML ALT Tags In reply to

Thank you, both.

Quote:
<a href="something.html" title="something">About Us</a>

When someone with a screen reader accesses the page, they will hear "something", not "About Us".

Why can't we use:

<a href="something.html" title="About us">About Us</a>

OR

<a href="about us.html" title="About us">About Us</a>

By the way, do any of you know if these title tags have any effect on the way search engines spider the pages ie. will they affect keywords/positioning?

Last edited by:

socrates: Oct 13, 2002, 7:50 PM
Quote Reply
You could do that, and that is what I do. The reason that the title attribute is helpful is that it "parses" cleaner in screen reader software.

About search engines, I know none that takes into account the title attribute in the HREF tag for "positioning".
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me