Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Good Proxy Server

Quote Reply
Good Proxy Server
Does anyone know of a good proxy server?

I've tried a couple including WinGate but either they don't work or they are far too complexed for my needs.

I just want to be able to go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and enter the proxy, ie localhost post 8000.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 20, 2003, 10:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Good Proxy Server In reply to
I'm assuming from the 'localhost' that you want the proxy on the same computer as you are on? If so, the easiest thing is to write one in perl:

http://search.cpan.org/...04/lib/HTTP/Proxy.pm

About 5 lines of code. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Good Proxy Server In reply to
Hmm interesting. Thanks, I'll look at that now.
Quote Reply
One small nice one I've found is pfProxy. But another one, that's intended for web app auditing (allows you to alter post/get submissions on the fly) is httpush.

I'm actually looking over them now and they both coded in perl and seem quite easy to use and relatively clean.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Good Proxy Server In reply to
I was looking for one to help me surf anonymously but they all failed in that respect :(
Quote Reply
In which way?

I don't think you can conceal the IP address of the proxy, but in pfproxy you can have it strip out things like cookies that are sent to your browser. It won't be able to do anything with URL based sessions.
Quote Reply
I wanted to hide my own ip rather than the proxy. For example in the way using megaproxy.com does.

Is the only to do that using a 3rd party proxy server?

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 23, 2003, 5:02 PM
Quote Reply
As far as I know. Your IP is required somewhere along the line as it's the way packets get back to you. I guess what you need is a provider with lots of users that also trashes their logs. All a proxy allows you to do is to reroute packets through a host that you trust doesn't monitor/log you and reveal any private information to the remote sites.

I guess what some people do is to go black hat and install one of those proxy scripts on a victim's box and ensure no trace leads back to themselves... or even establish a chain of proxies (proxy for a proxy...) Don't do that though Tongue Doesn't mean that they can't identify you by what you browse either. (Spammers do something like this sometimes with mail-relays)
Quote Reply
@Aki
hehe, you sound like you know a little more than you're letting on to Wink

haha, why don't you do what the phone phreaks used to do?
Just tap into your neighbors phone line?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile