Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Possible?
I'm just wondering, is it possible to NOT place a file in a tar file, when you are tar'ing up a whole directory?

I.e. if I want to tar up public_html, but don't want main.html to be included in it, could I do it?

I had a scan through the tar homepage documents, but couldn't find anything that refered to it.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Possible? In reply to
Yeah:

shell> tar --help

Then look at the options under the heading:

Local file selection:

Particularly

--exclude

Tongue

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 9, 2002, 2:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Possible? In reply to
Doh....I always forget to read the man files....should have know better Tongue

So I would just add --exclude=main.html into my command, and that would remove all occurences of main.html from the tar file?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Possible? In reply to
@RTFM

ugh.. you guys. the net obviously lacks the ability to express intonation. thus you should always try to understand what the sender meant, not what is written. It was a joke folks. no need to go deleting posts to the mod forum...

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.

Last edited by:

fuzzy thoughts: Sep 9, 2002, 10:22 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Possible? In reply to
Hi Andrew

Maybe your post was originally meant as a joke, but the term RTFM is usually used in degrading manner towards new or clueless users on the World Wide Web, and that is why I removed your post along with Andy's reply from the thread. I didn't think your post added anything valuable to the thread, and I didn't want this to end up as a flame war.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Possible? In reply to
Andy admitted it himself Wink

>>
I always forget to read the man files
<<
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Possible? In reply to
I see how you mean by the post being pointless, but I certainly didn't think Andy was either "new" nor "clueless". I uncautiously assumed he and the rest of you would get the subtle humor in stating a classic slogan that all experienced users know and exercise on a regular basis, but sometimes have lapses to bad habit.

I've got Mike's Hard Lemonade, Samuel Adams, and Yuengling in my frig if anyone feels like having a cold one. I don't want to have a bad rep after only 5 posts here.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Possible? In reply to
Hi

Sure, I'll take a cold Bud if you've got one. ;-)

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but obviously being a new user yourself, I, wrongly, assumed that your posting was in fact flamebait. I guess that's my gut instinct after hanging around Usenet too long.

Apologies for the misunderstanding in humour.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Possible? In reply to
>>
but obviously being a new user yourself
<<

Yes, obviously a new user Sly

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 9, 2002, 11:51 AM