Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

PHP - IE BUG?

Quote Reply
PHP - IE BUG?
I have come across a problem that likes to pop up now and again on my site. My page loads articles from a database and displays them on a page. They are called by the "subject" variable. When I view certain pages in Internet Explorer, the page doesn't completely load when only some specific topics are called. It's strange because it doesn't always happen.

On a working example of this page, the page loads fine, all the php content is loaded and when the source is viewed, I get all my footer stuff, and my closing tags. But when an example does not work. It seems half way into the database loaded content, then page just quits. The source ends up looking like the following:

Code:
...And it came to pass in<b>Luther's example:</b><p />Earnest efforts were m...<p /><b>Lay it all up.</b><p />I see matchless charms in Jesus. I behold in Him all that my soul desires; it is immortal
here it just cuts off!!! nothing comes after this...

It seems as if the page is being killed or something. It makes no sense whatsoever. This page loads fine in NN with the source displaying:

Code:
All the database loaded content... footer and closing tags...</table></body></html>

If anyone has run into this problem before, advice on what could be the issue would be wonderful. So you know, all of the content in that certain topic has been checked and there is no difference between it and other topic's content, so it's not a problem with the database information itself. I'm guessing it has to do with server side issues? I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: [JoFrRi] PHP - IE BUG? In reply to
Do you have a URL we can take a look at?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Your html Paragraph tags are incorrect.
You have <p />Some text<p />.
Change to -
<p>Some text</p> which should solve the problem.

MIE is fairly lenient as far as missing end tags go, but if you get the tag wrong it will choke.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: [lanerj] PHP - IE BUG? In reply to
No they aren't....it's XHTML Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Coombes] PHP - IE BUG? In reply to
Bob is correct. You use that notation only for non-closing tags. i.e <br /> and <input ... />, not <p />.

~Charlie

Last edited by:

Chaz: Dec 6, 2003, 8:47 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] PHP - IE BUG? In reply to
Well 50% of the tags are wrong then Wink

Last edited by:

Coombes: Dec 6, 2003, 8:39 AM
Quote Reply
This ought to help clear it up:

http://www.w3schools.com/.../xhtml_reference.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_p.asp

~Charlie
Quote Reply
The paragraph, line break, etc. tags are all fine while being closed within opening tag. That has nothing to do with the problem. I have closed those tags because they would have not been closed otherwise. The paragraph tags, even though it's bad form, are being used to create a space. This however has nothing to do with PHP/MySQL or why the page quits loading.

I do have URL's you can look at.

Working: http://presenttruth.dyndns.org/....php?subject=baptism

Notworking:
http://presenttruth.dyndns.org/...php?subject=cryaloud

You'll notice that the second link does not include the study information + download and comment links. It's all because of this problem.
Quote Reply
The syntax of the coding apprently has nothing to do with this problem. I just changed around some info, checked, and the one subject "cryaloud" now works fine. However, there are still others that do not work properly with this same problem. All of the stuff that I changed, I changed back to what it was, and it STILL works. This makes no logical sense so I'm guessing that this is a server (apache) problem? I had this problem come up some time ago but at the time, my site was not using php nor mysql. It just wasn't loading properly and sometimes random characters would show up. This went away shortly after on it's own so I have no clue what the problem could be. If anyone else has come across this problem, please share the knowledge you have.
Quote Reply
I've done a bit more playing. I've found that if I remove an include, any include, from my topics.php page, the problem goes away. Does this make sense to anyone?
Quote Reply
That could happen if something in the included file breaks, and stops execution althogether. I've experienced this before when tracking down problems on our company's site.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] PHP - IE BUG? In reply to
Did I already mention that it only happens in IE? If not, this is true.
Quote Reply
I recently had a problem with IE where a particular page and no other was breaking half way through but viewed fine in netscape, turned out to be a corrupted temp file in the temporary internet files of my WIN 2000 system, I had to manually clear out all old files and history before it would come up, prior to that I even reinstalled IE with no success, had me going for a while.

chmod
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] PHP - IE BUG? In reply to
I just went through my harddrive and deleted all my temporary internet files. Good idea, but didn't do the trick. When I was at a friends place, I viewed the page from there computer and something strange was happening... When they would try to load the page, it would start, and then all of a sudden they would get forwarded to a cannot find server page.
Quote Reply
Could this possibly caused by my router? It seems, with my forum, when ever the page is loaded quickly, it displays fine, but when it takes a bit longer, it's screwed up.
Quote Reply
This is what I get when I call those pages.

The baptism page loads fine in MIE 6.2, Mozilla 1.3, Opera 6 and Netscape 4.7.

But the cryaloud just keeps reloading in MIE.
Partial load in Mozilla and Opera, stops at - "I see matchless charms in Jesus. I behold in Him all that my soul desires; it is immort"
Loads ok in Netscape 4.7.

So something is confusing the browsers.

I have included the returned code from Nescape 4.7 as that was the only one that completely loaded.
Have a play with it, put it on your server and see what happens when you access it directly.

Funny thing though when I run that page locally it loads fine in all browsers.

Could it be something to do with your stylesheet?

Are you using a templet to generate those pages?

Hope that helps.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au

Last edited by:

lanerj: Dec 9, 2003, 4:38 AM
Quote Reply
I don't think it's my stylesheet because it's being used on every other page which loads fine. I think the most confusing thing, is that it only happens on certain topics even though these topics content, tags wise, is no different than any other topic.

The page is made up of a topics page including html and some php with php includes.

So I'm lost for ideas now.
Quote Reply
I deleted the topics that weren't working yesterday, and I readded them today. Now all of a sudden everything is working. Even the message board isn't having a problem loading now. This is strange, yet very welcomed.

Thanks for all your guys' help.

Last edited by:

JoFrRi: Dec 9, 2003, 10:09 AM
Quote Reply
Bleh, I take that back. It "WAS" working. Now once again, it's not.
Quote Reply
ATTENTION!!!

Okay everyone, I found out what the problem was. It was a known bug between apache and Windows XP. This bug could be fixed by downloading the service pack 1. However, I instead have gone to Windows 2000 Pro and now everything is working wonderfully.

Thanks for your guys' patience and help.