Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

New host, mod_perl and GT products

Quote Reply
New host, mod_perl and GT products
I'm currently looking for a new host and I found one that has mod_perl support. After talking with them for a while it turns out that mod_perl is compiled with Apache and I can turn it on/off but I don't have access to a startup.pl file. Will I see any benefits from running the scripts, GMail and GForum, under mod_perl without a startup.pl file pre-loading the GT modules?

The host is http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk and they are using an Ensim control panel. They said that they will be moving to the Ensim Pro control panel in a few weeks if that makes any difference. I checked out the Ensim website but it wasn't much help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] New host, mod_perl and GT products In reply to
Quote:
Will I see any benefits from running the scripts, GMail and GForum, under mod_perl without a startup.pl file pre-loading the GT modules?

No, you'll see a performance decrease (compared to pre-loading). One of the main reasons for using mod_perl is the ability to pre-load the large GT module library into memory.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] New host, mod_perl and GT products In reply to
Hi Paul.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I asked them what the point of having mod_perl is if there is not startup.pl file for me to use and I think I kinda pissed him off. I'm not very experience with mod_perl and I thought that maybe I was missing something.

I think I'll just stick with a standard shared host for now.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
GossamerHost will let you have your own startup.pl file Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] New host, mod_perl and GT products In reply to
I'll be able to afford them some day. :)
Quote Reply
As long as you have access to the server via SSH, you can create your own startup.pl file. But with them installing mod_perl with the single apache server, you wont see a great benefit from this setup as httpd processes will take huge amounts of memory for each thread, negating any performance boost. Most hosts have mod_perl installed this way.

You can instead use mod_speedycgi for a dramatic performance increase without the memory issues.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Hi,

Is this a shared server? If so, and they are using mod_perl compiled into the main apache, BEWARE! Any user that also has mod_perl access would be able to mess with your application.

If you are on a shared server, then you must have your own Apache if you want to use mod_perl. We do offer that in our shared hosting accounts, you get your own proxied and monitored apache with your own startup file to preload the code.

If it's a dedicated server, then you should be able to get access to the mod_perl startup file, it's just a matter of putting one line in the Apache configuration file.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New host, mod_perl and GT products In reply to
Thanks, Alex.

It is indeed a shared environment. I ran across a few articles about that just a few hours ago while I was still looking around.

I've come to the conclusion that if I want mod_perl, I need to get a dedicated server (or Gossamer-Host). I will put that off for a while, I think.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Hi Charlie,

If you want mod_perl, but don't have the budget for a dedicated server, you can use our shared servers (which yes, are still more then some shared accounts, but that is due to they are high end servers and limited to a max of 15 accounts per machine, and you get a manged, mod_perl server if you want, etc).

With our shared server, from your control panel you will be able to start/stop your own mod_perl server, view the mod_perl servers status, preload the modules, etc.

If you want more info about this, drop me an email or private message.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.