Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Need some beta-testers...

Quote Reply
Need some beta-testers...
Just wondering. Does anyone wanna test out my backup script? It allows you to set up a cron job for backing up your SQL databases/folders daily/weekly/monthly or annually, as well as a couple more features I still need to add. I'm just putting the finishing touches to it now, so a beta version should be ready in about 30 mins.

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Need some beta-testers... In reply to
Andy,

One thing you might want to consider adding is some user-defined switches for the backup options.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqldump.html

One thing to consider adding as default is the --lock-tables and the --flush-logs switches. The lock tables switch will help to avoid any corrupted data from being dumped. The flush logs will remove any extreneous data before dumping.

Just a thought.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Need some beta-testers... In reply to
Interesting idea. I was thinking about adding a couple of options like that to the automated one. Something like backup.cgi?action=auto_backup&files=1&sql=0 (which would backup the folderes, but not the SQL databases)...but I havn't quite got that far as to add those features yet Tongue

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Need some beta-testers... In reply to
You're welcome.

One more thing you might want to consider is adding a check to see where mysqldump is located before writing the function. One problem I came across is that if I did not include the full path to mysqldump, I got the following error message via Cron:

mysqldump...not found

Here is a discusion that may help:

http://www.geocrawler.com/...8/1999/10/0/2814517/

The reason I brought this up is that I noticed in your DEMO script, you do not reference the location of mysqldump, which would cause problems for many users testing and using your script.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me